The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning about 7am I shot a decent 7 pt. Buck was about 20 yards away and passing through my last open shooting lane. I tried to stop him with the traditional noise and unfortunately he did not. I released the arrow and saw it hit liver area.
The deer ran 20 yards and stopped behind a brush pile and just stood for 5 min. No room for a second shot. He then took 2 steps and bedded down at about 40 yards out. (again no shot). I watched him for 30 min and then he attempted to stand up and took a very shaky step or two and could not get threw a few branches and decided to bed down again. While standing his back seemed arched and legs bowed out. I did see the entrance wound and confirmed it in the liver area (If I had to guess closer to Guts than lungs)
I watched him until 8:45 and in that hour and half he stood up 4-5 times & took a few painful steps each time and then re-bedded down. From first bedding down to when I slipped out of my stand he was inside a 10-20 yard ring. During the bedding each time his head would go down then come up. His eyes close then open. He didn’t look good at all.
As I eased away about 9Am I took one last look in the Swaro's and he had his head up and was bedded down in the same spot I left him.
What should I do, I was planning on going back in at 3PM this afternoon or should I let him go overnight?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I think I would wait until 4 just to give him another hour . be ready for a follow up shot though .

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think the deer will have expired by 3PM no problem. A few years back I had almost the exact same thing happen as what you described. I waited until noon and went back and the deer was right where he was when I backed out. Just use caution while heading back in to make sure and be ready for a follow up if necessary, but I'll bet the deer is already finished in his bed as I type this. Good luck and looking forward to seeing some hero pics!

·
Registered
379 Posts
316hunting said:
This morning about 7am I shot a decent 7 pt. Buck was about 20 yards away and passing through my last open shooting lane. I tried to stop him with the traditional noise and unfortunately he did not. I released the arrow and saw it hit liver area.
The deer ran 20 yards and stopped behind a brush pile and just stood for 5 min. No room for a second shot. He then took 2 steps and bedded down at about 40 yards out. (again no shot). I watched him for 30 min and then he attempted to stand up and took a very shaky step or two and could not get threw a few branches and decided to bed down again. While standing his back seemed arched and legs bowed out. I did see the entrance wound and confirmed it in the liver area (If I had to guess closer to Guts than lungs)
I watched him until 8:45 and in that hour and half he stood up 4-5 times & took a few painful steps each time and then re-bedded down. From first bedding down to when I slipped out of my stand he was inside a 10-20 yard ring. During the bedding each time his head would go down then come up. His eyes close then open. He didn’t look good at all.
As I eased away about 9Am I took one last look in the Swaro's and he had his head up and was bedded down in the same spot I left him.
What should I do, I was planning on going back in at 3PM this afternoon or should I let him go overnight?
If you did get liver, he will most likely expired by 3pm. If you got only gut area he could go longer. If you go back at 3pm. sneak ever so slowly into where you last saw him and glass it. If he is still there and alive, back out again and let him go. But also, it's cold and you wouldn't lose anything but sleep if you leave him over night. It sounds like you'll get him for sure if you don't push him. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pics!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
be patient, and slooooow when going back in. he sounds like he will be right where you left him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What you just described is exactly how my 10 point reacted this year. I stayed in my stand and watched him expire where he bedded last. He expired roughly an hour and a half after I shot.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds exactly like my shot this year. He was doing the same thing, laying his head down, closing his eyes, trying to stand but couldn't. towards the end he was throwing himself forward from his bed only going a few feet at a time, rolling and sliding down the hill. Finally he stopped moving and I snuck up on him to find he did indeed expire. The whole thing took an hour, and was agonizing to watch, but it was a learning experience. I would say 2 hours and you are good.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Last year I shot a buck at 6:30AM for 35 yards and it was 42, quartering away hard. I hit guts, liver, diaphragm, nicked a lung. I heard it crash and swore it was a perfect shot and followed up within an hour. I had excellent blood for over 200 yards, then drip...drip. Long story but I jumped him at 9:30AM and it was over 900 yards away! I could see the entrance wound, it was back. I backed out and came back at 4PM. Found him after walking by it 3-4 times, not 50 yards from where I last saw him. Still alive. Put a finisher in and he got up and ran another 50 yards. They are very tough critters and juiced up this time of year.

When in doubt, back out. If you think you need 4 hours, wait 6-8 if you can.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you should get that deer....but this is why you dont shoot when they are walking or moving......could have just as easy been thru the guts and never to be recovered....

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You can shoot a walking deer easily with a bow.

Just keep moving and don't stop your arm moving with the deer.

In fact I believe its better than stopping the deer and putting them on alert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back in at 2:30 this afternoon. Did exactly what everyone recommended and snuck in. Found my arrow and was very disappointed to see no blood but only dried brown mess. The Expandable did not open either (cheap brand thought I had my rage 2 Blade knocked but had my "fox" arrow instead) Had almost no blood to follow but found the few beds where I had watched the deer with a little blood in each. After a quick search downhill I thought I was never going to see the deer and was about to call for backup until I spotted Brown on my search dead uphill. The deer only made it 20 yards from where I last saw him and he was stiff as a board so he must have expired shortly after I left (9Am).
Shot was pure Gut (no liver) about 24-28 inches to the right of the heart. Very lucky to have found him and glad I waited. I didn’t realize how much "lag" there would be without stopping the deer even shooting 300fps+. will not be doing that again.
Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Glad to hear you found him! The wait may have been stressful, but finding that deer expired had to be such a great feeling! I had that experience in 2010 and I don't think I whoop and hollered that much since the first deer!!

Where are the pics man!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts