The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to do a euopean mount and just can't get the grease out of the skull. I tried dish soap in a pot on my wood stove for a week and still looks like there is grease in the skull. Also tried a turkey fryer burner thinking I needed more heat. But that didn't work either. What do you pros use to degrease a skull??

Thank you

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Keep it up with the dish soap and keep it heated with an aquarium heater if possible. You can try acetone as well but it evaporates quickly so you have to seal the container that you have it in and it can get pricey.

Every skull is different and it make take longer for some to degrease than others.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sodium Carbonate, 1/4 cup per gal. of water. Get it out after about a 1/2 hr. works great for me. PS I 'm not a pro, but do alot of skulls every year, with out bugs!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why when using sodium carbonate you only have it in for half an hour?? And is the water heated or not??

·
Registered
826 Posts
Bowtech Mike said:
Why when using sodium carbonate you only have it in for half an hour?? And is the water heated or not??
1/2 hr. with the skull in boiling water. The flesh starts to get like jelly and comes off easily. I use a pressure washer to get most of it off.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SP Boss said:
Bowtech Mike said:
1/2 hr. with the skull in boiling water. The flesh starts to get like jelly and comes off easily. I use a pressure washer to get most of it off.
I am sorry I didn't say that the skull was beetled and I am just tring to get all the grease out of it. Is sodium carbonate still a good degreaser to use? If so how long do you leave it in for? Is it ok on the horns? Will it damage the bone if in the carbonate long periods of time??

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I am done using sodium carbonate (washing soda)...

It came in a kit someone gave me...makes the skulls brittle and chaulky and yellow quickly...right out of the pot they look awesome...snow white...but they get brittle and chaulky as soon as they dry....dont know why....

Maybe i use too much? Or too long???

It does make the.meat and stuff come off much quicker than just boiling in water....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts