The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get the puppy urge again. I am not looking to purchase a pup for another year or so, but want to start searching breeds and breeders this spring. I was set on another Setter to hunt with Willie, but I am missing the late season duck hunting this year do to my lab mix being retired to the couch.

So I was thinking of a French Brit to run with Willie for grouse and pheasant, and also to retrieve ducks from farm ponds and creeks in the area.

It seems there are many versatile dogs that would work for what I need. I am pretty much set on the french Brit. I like the size and closer working habits of these dogs.

Any firsthand info of the breed or breeders in the area to visit would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hello
I have owned french britts since 1990 Im sure i could help your with anything you may need or questions you may have it would problly be easier to talk on the phone if your want let me know and ill pm my phone number to you

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a friend from Wisconsin who has three of them. One is a pup they recently picked up so I know little about him, however the other two are top notch bird dogs. He's a very serious grouse and woodcock hunter and I've also seen these dogs out on the prairies where they also did fine, although they didn't run as big as I like to see a dog run out there. In the woods they are about perfect, if you like a medium running dog. This fella has a cabin in northern Wisconsin and his best friend runs a professional guiding service out of it during the hunting season. French Brits are his dog of choice for the guiding service also. I've never owned a brit, they're just not my cup of tea, but these guys are really nice dogs. Don't know about the water retrieving ability. If I was looking for that as a big requirement, I'd also be looking at the German Wirehairs. As with all dogs, genetics are 90% of the game, so you have to do your homework as to the breeding.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bwire. I'm torn between another setter or a french brit. if I can find a setter to fill my needs I would be all over one.

I do want to get Willie steady and solid on birds before getting another puppy. That's why it's going to be a year or more before I really get serious. It's gonna take a year or more to find a breed and breeder anyhow, so I figured I'd start looking now.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those V dogs are on the radar as well.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Have fun looking. One breed I like is the French Pointer. I have heard good things about them but I don't know how they are for water work.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
French pointers look like great dogs. I don't think I could stand explaining to people that its a "French Pointer" not a "German SHorthair". HAHA.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had one that would have been 9 on Dec. 4th. She was a fine bird dog that a few on this board had seen in the field. She would find and return birds to you, even if you didn't shoot them.

With this being said, she wouldn't have been my first choice to take duck hunting.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I know you said you were pretty much decided on a French Brittany but if you have time and you're not opposed to looking into a medium sized flushing dog as a hunting partner, check out the Boykin spaniel which was originally bred for duck and turkey hunting. I had one and it was by far the best pheasant and waterfowl dog I've ever hunted over. He did fine on grouse as well. They LOVE water, are good retrievers, and are great dogs to hunt cover where pheasants tend to run rather that hide. They are great house dog as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts