The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to have my meter base replaced on my cabin in Bedford County in Mann township. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Duane

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What do you mean by meter "base", the meter is electrical company property and would be serviced by them.
The meter "base" is the grey metal box that attaches to the building (below the cable & weather head), and into which the glass "meter" is placed by the power company. The power company only places the meter into the base after the base is properly installed by an electrician working for the property owner.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the power company will unhook your power and tell you what meter base they want you to install get it installed and then you will need it inspected once that is done the power company will hook you back up it is also the time to put in a new breaker box if you need one make sure you have two ground rods many older places have one and that won't pass inspection seen this many times

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The power company is the ones that told me base needed replaced. Get a electrician. So they know seal will get broken. I'd think a local electrician would have access to those locking seals. If not I'll call them when job is done. Told me a electrician can replace it hot. $110 to shut off & turn back on. Plus going that route no inspection. Neutral in base is burnt up. Had different lights turn off & on by themselves. Some times they lit like they had half power. Everything else is good. Only 30 year old 200 amp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That sounds about right with the power company. We called penelec last summer asking about a new utility pole to be set. They told us to get in touch with a guy local to us. He came out and picked a spot for pole and told us when we are ready they would do the disconnect and reconnect. I haven’t done it yet since I’ve been super busy. I’d like to find someone that could just set the pole for now.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Usually the electrician will cut the seal and complete the repairs. After the repairs have been completed you will have to have the job inspected by an inspection agency. They will turn in a "cut in" card for resealing and making the permanent connections at the service head.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Installing a new meter base will not be that expensive. Find an electrician that is out of work, and it may be a lot cheaper than usual. Don't risk a fire, damaged appliances, or personal injury just to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you are close to Harrisonville, try Kermit Swope 717-860-3484. Great work and reasonably priced. He is highly regarded by Valley Rural Electric Company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts