The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im embarrassed to post this but I need help. Last flintlock season I hunted first 2 or 3 days no shot. I came down with that flu everyone had last winter going to doctor twice and lost the rest of season. I have a Pa pellet gun and use black powder, left it in the case in my large garage and just stumbled on to it last week. I was able to get the ball and powder out and it compacted very tight. It looks very bad and I haven't started to do anything yet. Is there any advise of what to use or try? Any good technique someone could comment on. Or do they make a replacement barrel I could just buy right out? Im sitting here on keyboard with eggs running down my face but would appreciate any help. I don't do things like this but it happened.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What looks bad ? The bore ? The out side and the barrel ?
Most likely less expensive to just buy a new gun ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi DONT PANIC with a muzzleloader it always looks worse than it is .OK I have save a few barrels from going to the scrap pile here is what works for me’
#1 wash out with water and a cleaning patch
#2 look to see what damages if any to barrel
#3 if its just surface rust I first try a copper or fiber brush with Hopps #9
#4 if it has pitting I start with Hopps #9 and 0000 and steel wool on a undersized cleaning jag it might take a wile. I run the jag about 20 times then flush the barrel and check for progress. And just keep at it till you get it cleaned up.Its took me 2 days on my current Hawken find it was a mess barrel had surface rust through out the last 2 inches was mild pitting but it cleaned up nice and the riffleing is fine some patients payed off its really a beautiful gun now. If i could figure out how to post pictures i would.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Start with strong solvent with patch then wire brush and then ck bore to see what you got. Could be just surface rust from moisture if bbl was originally clean down to charge. If bbl was previously bp fouled then start process with hot soapy water

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If it was a clean bore and no burnt powder....it should be fine. Shouldn't have corrosion from burnt powder anyways. If left unprotected for nearly a year the steel could have rusted..but shouldn't be heavily corroded like it would be if it was fired and not cleaned.

I'd go about cleaning it and working at the rust and see what comes off and just how bad it is.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
After a wash out,scrub the bore with a jag and 0000 steel wool and some oil.This polishes the bore.
DO NOT USE A DRILL !

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Pull ball, clean gun, then see how bad it is. I'd say as other have , its probably not as bad off as you think. A little surface rust is no big deal......Scour barrel with some steel wool wrapped around the jag if its pretty rusty. Should get it off easily.

Next time remember to bring the gun inside after the season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts