The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story-

I REALLY want an airgun so yesterday, after a lot of research on reviews I bought a Ruger air hawk from bass pro for $109. I took it home and took it to the range,,, the scope wouldn't stay on! it kept falling off. So [censored], I took it back and got a Gamo Shadow sport, for $169, after looking at some more reviews., Took it to the range,,, I couldnt get it to group! at 25 yards I would shoot 5-10" groups with ALL types of ammo (I tried 5). I tried a rest, offhand, prone, EVERYTHING. But I couldn;t shoot consistantly. So to keep the story short, I went back and got a Gamo Whipser for $269,,, online guys are shooting dime size groups at 30 yards and hitting cans at 50- and even 100 yards! But for me.... 8-12" groups.... tried EVERYTHING again...

So... Any idea about whats going on?

I'm ready to give up on air guns.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had the same problem...My last one was a Gamo Hunter. I gave up...I think there is too much pressure/velocity to keep a tight pattern.

·
Super Moderator
12,818 Posts
dig deeper...theres an air gunner TV show i seen a few times...i seen one episode they explained different types of airguns...different actions and how they are fired etc...theres one type that took a certain "knack" to shoot properly and accurately....

if noone can help here, i am SURE there is a Gamo forum or "adult" air rifle forums that can likely get to the bottom of the issue...them rifles, from what ive read, can SHOOT well...

since your new to them, id bet theres something your not doing properly (no offense meant...im just saying, it could be the way your loading it, or the way its resting, or something odd..)

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I assume you ar shooting pellets. because bb's aint worth squat at the distances mentioned.

I have a Dianawerk single stroke 22 cal pellet gun with peep sights that will hit an M&M at 10 meters almost everytime. It was a little salty when I got it 20 yrs ago. Real nice trigger pull. The open rear sight that came on the gun broke within the first year. With the peep sight it is a very impressive shooter for what it is. Not as fancy as those Olympic side stroke guns though.

http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?id=116&L=1&width=1280&height=800

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check your scope mounts!!!! Air rifles recoil forward compared to a regular rifle and airguns will eat up a regular pair of scope rings. Get a pair of airgun rings I've had good luck in the past with the RWS rings.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem. He finally ended up with a RWS and problem solved. I can't believe how accurate it is. He uses RWS Superdome pellets only.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I just watched American Airgunner last night....mostly to watch Crystal Ackley!

Paul reminds me of one of those commando/SWAT type guys you see at the range....but with airguns.

Pretty good show though and lots or info.

They have reviews on their site, but I don't know how many or of what....maybe that'll help.

American Airgunner

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
hempfield

Were you using the same scope and mount on all 3 rifles?

·
Registered
819 Posts
if you are using a cheap scope ,thats the problem they cant take the recoil. try shooting at 50ft and see how it groups at that distance

·
Registered
238 Posts
I shoot a winchester 1000, bought it yrs ago and shoots very well compared to other air guns on the market. RWS is always a good choice too. The new stoeger look awesome to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts