The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice guys on a new flinter. Firstly, I have a T/C .50 PA Rifle I use for deer and I’m very pleased with its performance. I would like to buy either a .32 or .36 for squirrels and small game, and maybe even turkey – leaning to the .36 for possibly less fouling. I have been looking at the Pedersoli Kentucky and Pennsylvania but I have read some not so good things about the small lock. Many have recommended the Pedersoli Frontier due to the larger lock. At the same time, Pedersoli’s price on this gun is only a couple hundred bucks less than one made by TVM.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
First off don't believe if someone tells you a 32 fouls more than a 36.I have both and they don't.I can shoot a good 20 shots or more and not swab the bore hunting squirrels.A 32 will easily kill a turkey.Some guys in other states use them for deer with no problems.I have killed fox in the past with the 32.The 36 is a great cal but is overkill on squirrels.The 36 is a good turkey,yote,fox,etc caliber.
If you want a flinter bad,I'd say save up for a custom.If a percussion will due,I'd say find a TC in a Seneca(36&45)or a Cherokee(32&45).I'm sendind you a PM where there is one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated 410 and thanks for the PM.

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
I have 3 32 caliber muzzleloaders and a couple of 36's Neither fouls anyworse than the other. Simply from the stand point of carrying energy down range, the 36 is ever so slightly better. Neither can buck cross winds very well.

If you have the time and the money, a TVM. Go someplace where you can shoulder the guns if possible. Some of the italian guns have so little drop that they must have been made for folks with no necks. Some are just great. An alternative may be a used Hawken style with a drop in barrel. (Drop ins are getting hard to find right now. ) There were some CVA perc Bobcat rifles made in 36 and they come up on places like gun broker a few times a year.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zimmerstutzen. I looked for replacement barrels for my T/C Hawken .45 and all were percussion - mine is flint; and I would like to keep it that way. I'm with you on the little neck thing and the draw. Only a few Pedersoli's seemed to fit well.

Just for fun, I was trying to figure out the "stutzen" in your handle since my grandfather and I did speak a bit of Pa German (many would say Dutch) many years ago. It's long forgotten but I think it means being Zimmer.

Thank for your reply

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
Kannst du Deitsch schwetza? Ich bin Pennsylfanische Deitsch, von Kutztown. Auf Anglais, Zimmer bedeutet "Room" and stuzten ist "carbine" Im Deutschland und Osterreich, sind viele Schutzenvereinen fur Zimmerstutzen. Im der Hofbrauen Kelleren, Der Herren und Damen schussen am 10 meters. Lesen Sie hier: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/11/nothing-new-under-sunthe-zimmerstutzen.html

At one time TC breech plugs both flint and percussion were commonly available for those who wanted to craft their own drop in barrels. It isn't rocket science. You can probably buy a TC (or Tc compatible) flint breech plug from Dixie Gun Works or Dixon's. I currently have a TC flint breech plug on my desk, but unfortunately, I am not interested in selling it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zimmer. Danke! Ich denke, es wird immer eine verlorene Sprache. I cheated and did a translation on the last sentence. Long forgotten.

I think I found a solution for my squirrel gun or at least a meantime solution. I have a T/C Hawken percussion .50 and I was able to locate a .40 caliber Green Mountain replacement barrel. After talking to two custom gunmakers they sold me on the .40 even for squirrels simply due to the ballistics, ease of loading, and fouling issues. So that's where I'm at presently. And I truly appreciate all the replies and sharing of ideas.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Thats BIG medicine for squirrels!Here is what the 32 does to them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are a dead-eye 410-er....good shootin'

I spoke to a few guys I know in the south and their squirrel guns are mostly .40. A couple of custom gunmakers I spoke to locally said the .40 is the way to go. I guess I'll find out in the next month and I'll be sure to keep you posted. Worst case scenario - I have an excuse to buy another gun.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I've never owned a 40 cal but came close to a flinter one time.It is my understanding it is probably the most accurate muzzy caliber.Looking foward to seeing some dead tree rats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't be afraid of the small lock and pan, I have a Pedersoli Kentucy 32 cal., even though I'm still "tuning" it in, it is very quickly becoming my gun. Mine goes off like a charm everytime, I don't beleive I have had a miss fire with it. Got mine as a Christmas gift, even better yet!!! It came from Dixons.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's great to hear Bud Weiser. I have been eyeballing one at Dixon's for a couple of months now and I still may go that route even though I think the .40 will be fun. So many times the writings on the web can be negative just because people are dissatisfied with their first shoot and it is tough to find the positive reviews.

Thank you very much for sharing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts