The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has taken an interest in archery. I'd like to buy him a recurve for Xmas, however not being an archer myself, I'm not up on what is decent and what is junk. My son doesn't seem to like those take down models so if you can give some advice on the one piece models that would be appreciated.

Which moderately priced recurve would you recommend?

·
Registered
71 Posts
More info, like age, size, and intended uses.
I've got a samick sage and think it is excellent at the price point. I have a take down but would expect the one piece to be nice also. What's he got against take downs anyway?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's 17, plays football in school so he's built. He weighs 205 and is 5 foot 7. He's strong as an Ox, so a 50 lb draw weight would be no problem. He wants to use it for deer hunting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I can vouch for the samick sage as a good bow. The other bows I have owned that sell for reasonable prices are older Bear recurves of a few models. I used to pick them up at yard sales and ended up selling them after a while, if shooting instinctive only look on Ebay or online classifieds for them. If using a sight and stabilizer you want something more modern that accepts them.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
He's 17, plays football in school so he's built. He weighs 205 and is 5 foot 7. He's strong as an Ox, so a 50 lb draw weight would be no problem. He wants to use it for deer hunting.

Ok, so we're talking about a bow for an adult (as opposed to a "grow-out-of bow). So it all depends on your price point. Like said above, in the lower range Samick makes a nice bow. Mid range - Bear, Martin, Bodnik. Or you can go the semi -custom / custom route as Kudu suggests above. Good place to start is checking out the Lancaster Archery website, they handle just about all levels.

Stay away from the real short bows, 58" or 60" AMO is a good hunting length that won't stack or finger pinch too bad. Far as draw weight, he's obviously an ox of a dude, but form is everything in Trad archery and most people tend to over-bow themselves. Production bows are rated at 28" draw length; so if he draws longer than that he'll be pulling 2 lbs more for every inch over 28". My guess is that at 5"7", he's drawing near 28", but the only way to know for certain is to have him measured (with a Trad bow).

·
Registered
417 Posts
My son has taken an interest in archery. I'd like to buy him a recurve for Xmas, however not being an archer myself, I'm not up on what is decent and what is junk. My son doesn't seem to like those take down models so if you can give some advice on the one piece models that would be appreciated.

Which moderately priced recurve would you recommend?

My advice would be to check out the stickbow.com classifieds, also in my experience, the folks involved with the tradbow world are super helpful and inclusive to those just getting started. If you would happen to have the opportunity to do so I would visit a local shop as well.

Also....if he is just starting out being able to draw 50 lbs with no problem is not necessarily a given, by that I mean it may be wise to start with a bow like the Samick Sage due to the fact that you could start out with lighter (30 lb limbs) to devote time to form and also get heavier limbs to work into, which will go along way to making shooting enjoyable. Also try to look up a mandarin duck or black hunter bow.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm going to look into things. We have an archery shop not too far from us. Its a new store that opened about a year or so ago. Im going to take a ride up there one day soon to talk with someone about it. Hopefully they'll have some bows I can look at, and maybe take my son to show him.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Browning Wasp can be found used a lot of places. I have owned several over the years. Value for the money. My .02 cents!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts