The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our first failed planting attempt of the year, we're trying again. Better late than never or so I hope. We sprayed our main plot with Roundup this past Friday the 23rd. Would it be too early to replant this Saturday the 31st? We plan on planting buckwheat and clover. I know its late for this but we already have the seed so we figured we would give it a shot. We are fairly new to planting and are still learning.

We first started planting 3 years ago after we had a 3 acre section clear cut. The ground was freshly tilled and it was in perfect condition to plant. The clover came up great. Now, 3 years later, we haven't kept up with the plot. We had someone plant for us at the end of May. He tried to save the little clover left in our plot by using the arrest but this did nothing. The plot has been completely overtaken by weeds now. He also created a new plot for us and planted a brassicas mix but these plants did not come up. He used round up on this area but did not turn over the soil. He only used a disc on this. We want to try and replant this plot again with turnips. Is it a must for the ground to be tilled up before you plant clover or turnips? Some people have told me you should be fine with a disc but others say you have to till or use a plow. We only have a disc but could rent a tiller if need be.

Can anybody give me some advice on planting and keeping after the plots? What is your maintenance schedule for your plots as far as spraying, fertilizing etc. When do you normally plant? I want to start learning for the future. It seems like there are a lot of experts on here.

These plots will be located in Southwestern, PA in Somerset county.

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
No till is great for turnips. Throw that seed down and let her eat. Throw down some nitrogen rich fertilizer after early fall rains and let her eat some more. Turnips and brassicas are fun cause they grow quick.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There is no problem with going ahead and planting. The round up only effects those plants that are already established. It will not affect the seed. Additionally, it will have already established itself in the root structure of the existing plants by the time you plant.

Take a few minutes and go on qdma.com and go into the forums. There are many very informative posts discussing this topic.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would wait atleast another week before planting to make sure you have killed all the plants.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Based on what you are saying about your weed/grass problems, I'd not use clover in this plot just yet. Plant it in annuals for 2 years, brassicas are great, just to get better weed and grass control.

You can just disc it very lightly, enough to put some slits in the soil, and then spread brassica on top. Spread heavy, twice the recommended rate. Spread urea on just before discing. 100 lbs per acre, at least.

If you can do it just before a rain event that would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be too late to plant brassica the weekend of Aug 21st? We are unable to plant until then and we are planting winter rye/clover in our 2 acre plot. I'm afraid that we will have our first frost about a month after planting and the brassica won't have enough time to reach maturity.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
As warm as it's been, if this pattern continues into fall, you just might be ok. Who knows, might be a high of 60 on Christmas Day! LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
You just never know what the weather will bring. I planted my brassicas Aug 1, and haven't gotten a drop of rain, to get them started. I'm hoping for a long summer also.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I planted mine on the last week of august last year and they did great. Got the first frost around the week of halloween. Perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Plant them. First frost is not necessarily the end of the growing season. It has to be a hard frost to end growing. As others have said, with the lack of rainfall in many locales it really hasn't mattered if they were planted yet. If your PH level is good and you fertilize appropriately you will get more than adequate growth assuming the rainfall starts.
In my area we have another large acorn crop so the brassica fields won't get hit as hard as normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts