The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking into a starter rifle for my boys - the length of pull on daddy's guns is just getting frustrating for the oldest and he reallylikes to go shooting.

Looking at the cricket and others...so i'll take your input. I'd like something with irons so i can teach him how to use them, but also want the ability to put a red dot on it as well. My oldest has some eye issues and some pretty thick glasses - he has a hard time with a regular scope right now becuase he can't get a good weld on the stock. He shoots very well with a red dot though on my 10/22, but the stock is still too long, and the trigger just plain stinks.

don't have alot of dough to put into this, and don't care if it's break barrel or bolt, but i want it to be single shot, and want the ability to fire LR, Long, and short (this goes without saying in most of them since we are not getting a repeater)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Here is what you need. I know you want a single shot but you can buy this stock for your 10/22 and it will grow with your kids. They make stocks to fit Remington Short actions too.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he can't hunt with the 10/22...and since i'm buying a new gun, it's time to get a weapon he can grow into. looking at possibly a youth stocked NEF or Rossi to grow into. I can always get the adult stock for it, and barrels to add calibers. Would love to get him out with some .410 shot shells for squirrels too.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I bought a Savage Cub for my kids. I sighted it in and it is very accurate, it comes with the accu-trigger, grooved for mounting a scope, but comes with a peep sight installed. I think it is much easier to teach on a peep sight than regular open sights.

The LOP is still a little big for my 6 year old, but will be fine in a year or so. I handled the Crickett and the Savage is a much better built rifle, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx TS and Andy. just got off the phone with the W1F3 unit and I've been veto'd. (for now)...we'll see if things change. she thinks he's a bit young...i can't wait till she finds out what they actually do in cub/boy scouts which he is starting this fall. Could be a long winter...

·
Registered
187 Posts
CZ 452 Scout. It comes with a single shot adaptor and can be used as an adult rifle later on. I bought a Cricket for my kids and it doesn't impress me.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
bought my boy the rossi youth matched pair .22/.410 combo. Around Christmas the past 2 years you can get out of the store with this for $99 after rebate. Its been a great shooting gun that fits him well. Also looked at the trifecta, but found it too heavy in .22 with all the extra steel in the breech to get it from 20ga to .22.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts