The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why should I buy one that has red and green lights along with clear? Saw one at gander with all 3 colors, anyone have any preferences

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why should I buy one that has red and green lights along with clear? Saw one at gander with all 3 colors, anyone have any preferences

The red and green lights help to reduce the spooking of game while walking through the woods. Red lights also help with your night vision and don't blind you when you transition from one to the next.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a headlamp that has a red light on it. (Energizer I think) I only use the white light though. I have a really hard time with only the red light.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I bought a petzel. I had a few over the years. I was sick of buying batteries that cost more then the head lamp. So I bought one that runs on two basic triple a's. I keep two as back up's in my pack so I am always good. Also it has 3 modes. Bright, dim and a strobe.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I like the red and green for general navigation to and from stands.
The white light comes in handy for any night time chores or processing game where I am not concerned with being seen.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Like people have said, red or green is great for getting to your spot in the morning. Not only will it spook less game but it won't affect your eyesight and it'll save precious battery life for when you need to follow a blood trail or field dress something at night. Definitely worth it.

One more thing: if you can get a headlamp with a lock or hold button that prevents the lamp from turning on while it gets shuffled around your pack or pocket you should do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Streamlight Buckmaster. You can get one from Gander for under $30. Two levels of green and then a pretty good regular light. I walk 2 tracks with the white light. I change to green when dropping down trails to my stands. The low level green is great for climbing and getting situated in the stand.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I too like the Streamlight Buckmaster, but currently haven't been using a headlamp for hunting. I also like the Black Diamond lights with the red, and clean white light. Any decent light that uses practical batteries such as "AA", or "AAA" will work as long as you can adjust brightness, and perhaps have a green, or red light so as not to ruin your night vision, and spook game.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's not too late , the best headlamp I've owned for hunting is my XK Glow. Its green in color. The selling points are that it's rechargeable and the ability to narrow (for distance) or widen the beam. With the most powerful setting and a narrow beam, I can light up a deer at 100 yrs. I was skeptical of the light at first b/c I had never heard of this brand of light. On my 3rd season and going strong. Even comes with a car charger so you can charge to and from hunting. Good luck hunting .

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Once you go 300 lumens you never go back. My primary headlamp is a 400 lumen Lux from lowes. The full power beam is awesome for blood tracking. I use the red light while up in the tree stand in the dark so I'm not acting like a light house. I use the lowest power white light for walking out so I don't get arrowed by a clown shooting at silhouettes.

In the mountains , where everything looks the same in some places it can be invaluable to be able to light up your area to find a landmark tree or rock that you recognize. A headlamp under 100 lumens won't do that.

Lastly, I keep a spare in my pack with fresh batteries, with one battery turned backwards so that it doesn't accidentally turn on and drain the life.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I use my night eyes for pretty much everything. Rechargable batteries, super reliable, adjustable brightness. Archery hunting, coyote hunting, elk hunting in the Rockies. That is one piece of gear I always have with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts