The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are contemplating an addition onto our log cabin over in Potter County. We bought our cabin as a shell, so I'm open to any suggestions on an architects, contractors, or log home manufacturers.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
try Moose Head Log Homes , they have a website that has their address and phone number for more info. maybe if you call them they might point you in the right direction or know somebody. other then that I can`t be more help. good luck and let us know how you make out

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any updates on your addition Hittingguru
Yeh-- I found a contractor who in fact is just over the hill from my camp. He is a builder/contractor that specializes in log homes and timber frame homes. What we are planning is an addition to an existing log cabin, mainly adding a great room. I'm ok with regular stick construction, and have enough contacts to do the footer, foundation, etc if we were going that route, but I'm not comfortable with adding onto a log structure, and calculating load, spans, etc. I plan on meeting with him after the holidays, letting him see what we have, and then set a plan of action.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
sounds like you got a good start, my dad and I have a log camp as well. nothing better than having one . we love ours a lot and enjoy it also. thanks for the update

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I had the Amish attach 18x20 log room with a loft years ago, They mill and cut everything did a good job. Not sure if you have Amish in your neck of the woods or not

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I wouldn't let the Amish around these parts build me a dog house.They're famous for under cutting contractors,especially with metal roofs.Recently I've seen two entire slopes blow off of house because the only nailed the purlins down on each end lol.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had the Amish put a roof on my house a few yrs back, turns out they used what appeared to be green plywood and only stapled it down and used the wrong type of clips. After about 3 years the plywood was buckling like crazy... and leaking. They said it was guaranteed for 2 yrs. I wound up paying a different contractor to replace the whole roof... never again..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts