The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a gunsmith in Cambria or Blair county to restore a double barrel shotgun. This gun is old and is in a box of parts. Not looking necessarily museum quality but someone who can do a good job on this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What is the make of the shotgun? Doubleguns require a gunsmith with specialized skills. If it is a higher end gun, it is not something you want to have worked on by someone who does not have the knowledge to complete the work.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I do not know anything about it. It's old from what I remember the stories from my dad and as a kid i looked at it a lot but never recall seeing any markings. It's sitting tore apart in a box and bag but I'll take a look after work and post it

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot I had the gun in my truck. There isn't a "brand" stamp but below are the stamps on the underside of the barrels. Both have the same stamps and this is the better of the two pictures. Quickly looking online it appears to be Belgian stamps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
171, what do you hope to do with the gun when it's reassembled? Shoot it or just have it as a family keepsake and hang it on the wall? When you say it's currently in a box, is it only broken down in several pieces (barrels, receiver, forearm and stock) or are the internals of the receiver removed as as well?

The barrels appear to show somewhat of a twist steel pattern from what I can see in that pic. The majority of the shooting industry feel as though pattern-welded (generically referred to as Damascus) barrels are unsafe to shoot. There is also a segment that feel that they are safe to use after inspection. Only you and a competent smith can make that decision if you wish to shoot it.

The majority of Belgian (if that is what it is) doubles, but not all, are not worth the expense it would take to restore them. I'm not in any way trying to disparage your father's gun, just making a point about the quality of the firearms themselves.

Sorry for all the questions,just trying to point you in the right direction. Restoration of doubleguns can get expensive if you want it done correctly. Also, if your wish to move forward with it, it will probably involve shipping to a competent gunsmith. IMO, there is only one of those that is located in PA and he is not currently taking on new customers due to his backlog.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply and direction, I appreciate it all. Yes the gun is broken down as you said, not just random parts and pieces broken down.

As for the intent, I never assumed the gun had much of a collection value or was super rare or anything so my plan was to get the gun cleaned up, put back together and fix some issues with the stock but after looking on gunbroker and other sites (as you pointed out) I dont think the effort to get it restored or into a presentable state would be very feasible. The gun actually was a bring back that my grandfather brought back from WWII so its not like it was some family heirloom which would have different meaning and budget of getting it put back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts