The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a new stock on my 870, and need to have the receiver drilled and tapped, for a scope mount. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Butler area that can do this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'd call Sportsman's Supply and Gun World ( Harrisville) and see who does their work. I used to go to Joe McCrea before he died and he was excellent. I'm not sure if any of his guys are doing work on their own or not. I think I remember that one of Van's sons (Van's Sporting Goods) is a gunsmith. I think he's only open occasionally.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - I will give Economy a call. I go to RMU every Thursday. I'll check them out.

John,
How was your rabbit hunting? Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Another option is the B-Square saddle mount like the one at http://www.midwayusa.com/product/367653/...-1-2-and-3-blue . They're aluminum and you can easily install yourself by just popping out the trigger housing pins and putting the saddle on with the pins provided for it. Easy to take off too. I wouldn't buy from Midway but Cabelas, Gander Mt., and many sporting goods stores carry, especially for the 870, and they usually run $42-$45. I have one on a Winchester 1300 that I bought used several years ago with a red dot sight. I'm not a scope guy on a shotgun but it is my back-up turkey gun and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I have a B-square on the 870. I have another 870 that's drilled/tapped. The drilled/tapped one is just slimmer and better handling. I like that look better too, but thanks for the suggestion. Pete

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding the cantilever barrel, I did also think about that but I already have all the barrels I need and this is really going to be a turkey killer. If I was setting it up as a slugger, the cantilever would probably be more accurate. Thanks for the suggestion too. Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts