The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard great things about the necker 600 and the ulu knife for fleshing. I'm using the blue english system now bit thought about getting one or the other of these. Any thoughts from you guys which may be better?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It's not the knife. It's the guy using the knife. Sure, a good knife makes things go easier but a good knife in the hands of a beginner or wannabe isn't going to make a bit of difference. Guys like that Ohio furbuyer and Allen Claycomb have thousands of fleshed coon under their belts. If you are a guy who catches 15, 20 or 25 coon a year you are going to be slow no matter what tool you use.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OldMink said:
It's not the knife. It's the guy using the knife. Sure, a good knife makes things go easier but a good knife in the hands of a beginner or wannabe isn't going to make a bit of difference. Guys like that Ohio furbuyer and Allen Claycomb have thousands of fleshed coon under their belts. If you are a guy who catches 15, 20 or 25 coon a year you are going to be slow no matter what tool you use.
Good point. But, wouldn't a person using that fleshes thousands of pelts still want a quality knife? Maybe he can out flesh me using a butter knife while I use my Blue English but would he rather use that? Just because a NASCAR driver can drive better than me doesn't mean he'll take a Yugo over a Chevy or Ford. I was just asking a question if somebody thought any particular fleshing knife was better. just because you may have something that works does not mean you stop investigating a better method. complacency never helps foward progress.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OldMink said:
That's not a well thought out answer. A quality knife in anyone's hands that learns how to use it will make quite a difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just started looking at a grizzle getter one handed fleshing knife. Similar to the ulu but a little cheaper. They are on sale at f and t this month. I think I like the idea of a one handed knife for doing coon necks. My other hand will keep the pelt taut on the beam allowing for better control. Fleshing a whole beaver pelt one handed might get a little tiresome on a big one.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I use an ULU sometimes for starting necks and getting the grizzle off the tail on coons. Other times I'll use a cheap two handed fleshing knife.
I've actually done entire coons with the ULU when I don't have more than a couple to put up at a time. A good sharp ULU is a dream to work with and needs very little pressure to slice along the hide.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
charman03 said:
Aren't you supposed to use the blue English knife for that setup?
The Blue English system is just vertical fleshing. I use the blue english knife for for that tough neck gristle on coon.

I use a "regular" fleshing knife for the rest of the pelt. You don't have to use any particular knife for it but the blue english knife comes with the system. I've never tried the necker or the ulu, I was just curious what the thoughts of people who used those knives.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
trapperrick, looks like you did not use the pinch blocks provided with the system, for holding pelt firmly in place on beam.

·
Registered
161 Posts
OldMink is right, IMO. I fleshed many coon with a $15 knife before using a necker. Yeah, the necker is nice, but really, you can start the coon with any sharp knife once you get the hang of it, even a sharp pocket knife, then finish with the dull knife. For what it's worth, I have an ulu, but it seems easier to use either the sharp side of the necker or a beaver knife to start the neck.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kip Feroce said:
trapperrick, looks like you did not use the pinch blocks provided with the system, for holding pelt firmly in place on beam.
I have them but don't use them. I'm constantly rotating and moving the pelt as I'm fleshing down. I tried it when I first got it but I like the freedom of doing without.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have an ulu my son brought me from Alaska and never used it. Thought it was better suited for clean skinning beavers. I love the Necker, mine I did have to sharpen better but works like a dream on the thick stuff.

·
Registered
423 Posts
all nick wyshinski ever used was an ulu and a single handle scraper. sure would like to have a dollar for every coon he put up that way...........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts