The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on the best neck turning tool? Ease of use and accuracy is my concern. Just looking for your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is from K&M... Have been using it for years with no problems...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have several.....both Sinclair and K&M....I set mine up for each of the chambers I'm turning for....I use the Sinclair for initial coarse cutting and a K&M to finish up....

Well worth it to me to have dedicated turners....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have a Hornady model. I use it when i have nothing else to do? I only true up the necks,a little,on some of my new cases.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have K&M turners also, I agree 100% with Bob, get one set up for each chamber and leave it alone. It sure saves a lot of brass and set up time.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
How much are you guys turning? I did that back in the late 80's when i was shooting a 6 ppc on the ibs circuit. Ibu remember i was shooting a .262 neck and had to be careful if i would try other bullets the run out would be different. I had a heck of a time at first getting the tool set than miking it and took to much off. I sure dont miss those days of turning.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Once the tool is set I don't ever mess with it, My 300 WSM's all have .338 necks, brass is turned to .0135 and a loaded round measures .335

my 6BR's are turned to 010 and have a total of 002 clearence.

A freind of mine has a Hart Turning tool and he really likes it, personally I would rather have a dedicated Turning tool for each caliber, I use the same reamer so there is no need to have multiple tools for the same caliber.

Once you have the tool set up and a shell holder that goes into a cordless drill, turning cases isn't a big deal. I think if you had to do it by hand without using a drill it would be a giant PIA.

I don't think turning necks for a factory chamber is going to improve accuracy enough to spend the time doing it. But that is only my opinion

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There's so much slop in factory chambers that I'm not sure your not making the problem worse by taking more brass away and causing a larger than already big gap. Most factory chamber are showing .006-,009 per side, so why make it worse.. Now a custom chamber is another story but not a factory gap and a half! I've never really seen it help much in any factory cartridge or chamber. In my bench 6PPc cut by Borden I'm shooting a .262 and my loaded shells are 261 and it looks like a half..that's a total clearance of less than .001..needless to say the case last forever, I've shot the same 50 cases for 10 years and it never changes anything.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
My first bench gun i got from Seely Masker was a 262, they was alrady turned like 261 and he called it a fitted neck. I know there wasent much room for error and better stick with same bullet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
use lapua brass and be done with it. even my custom chambers are cut for lapua now. IMO if your not competing it's a waste of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts