The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread about "found" stuff got me to thinking about the stuff I've lost too....

Most important thing I lost: my wedding ring...I was hunting bear and pulled off a glove and never found the ring. Went back a couple weeks later with a metal detector and never did find it.
What have you lost?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Black widow greybark left handed recurve, left it against a tree, and hauled a doe out only to remember when i got to the truck, had to work, so i figured when i got my next days off i would get it back. It was way in and not on a path so i thought i was safe. Couldn't find it, until one day i went to a cabin down the road during buck season to b.s. and he pulled out to show me what he found in the forest, lo and behold my bow, to which he said i think you ight recognize this, latter i found out the guy i was staying at the cabin with, told him about my bow, and since he couldn't get around to find it too well, this fella did nad found it in twenty minutes of searching the area. since it was the last day of archery they figured i din't need it till maybe winter bow so they played this trick on me

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm the king of walking away from stuff. On a day of all deer drives during flintlock, I at one point met with a poster, sat on a rock and unslung my side pack with my brand new Gerber Axe I had gotten the day before for X-mas, and then never slung it back on. Later in the day I was driving, lost my walkie talkie busting through brush. Backtracked for 2 hours to find that, finally came back to the cabin at dark to realize I couldn't find my pack. Flashlight and back into the woods I went.

Heck just the other day I near drove away with my flyrod on top of my car. My buddy let me get the car in reverse and then said, "sure you don't want your rod too?" Sad part is Killin'time got me a magnetic rod holder that attaches to your car side. I'm a mess.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Other than opportunities, glad to say I haven't lost anything in the woods, well at least that I can recall, however, I am enjoying this thread. Good stories guys.

·
Registered
522 Posts
During small game season walking in line my brother was about 15-20yds to my right through new growth from a clear cut where the saplings are about 2-3" apart My hunting license fell off my back I realized it when we got back to camp for lunch and my brother told me I was missing it. He said he'd go back with me to look for it when he turned around i told him he lost his as well. We leave the guns at the camp and retrace our steps I found my licensed holder thank God it was one of the orange ones my brother yells over not two steps further 20 yds away and says he found his. It took us about 15 min(not bad considering we walked over the mountain side that morning for grouse) to find them still one of the stories that gets told every year when we line up for grouse hunting. I always keep my license in an Orange holder. I can still walk right to the spot where we found them to this day and every time we walk through that old clear cut a smile comes across my face.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
wampire said:
I'm the king of walking away from stuff. On a day of all deer drives during flintlock, I at one point met with a poster, sat on a rock and unslung my side pack with my brand new Gerber Axe I had gotten the day before for X-mas, and then never slung it back on. Later in the day I was driving, lost my walkie talkie busting through brush. Backtracked for 2 hours to find that, finally came back to the cabin at dark to realize I couldn't find my pack. Flashlight and back into the woods I went.

Heck just the other day I near drove away with my flyrod on top of my car. My buddy let me get the car in reverse and then said, "sure you don't want your rod too?" Sad part is Killin'time got me a magnetic rod holder that attaches to your car side. I'm a mess.
"Saw it.. Right off"

·
Registered
465 Posts
lost an ear tag from a 5pt i was dragging out of the Hammersly Wild area on the first day of buck in 90. Got a letter in the mail with my ear tag two weeks later from another succesful hunter from Fleetwood that said he saw this laying on the Hammersly trail as he was dragging his 6pt out on the first saturday.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Six of us were doing a early morning duck hunt and going to try and catch the birds coming off the roost. When we were done the youngest member of our crew(13 years old) had lost the operating lever from his new Chas. Daily semi. One of our party had to go to work so he lent his Super Black Eagle to the boy as we were going to walk a creek and jump shoot a few more. We finished up around noon, loaded the two trucks and went our seperate ways. Once home and in the process of unloading the truck we found the SBE missing and called the youngster to see if he still had it. He explained he had put it on our trucks bed cover. Back we went to the hunting spot to look and after walking the road for a mile from the parking spot 2 or 3 times decided someone had picked it up and it was gone. It was reported to the local police but has never shown up. We ended up replacing the gun for the owner to the tune of $1100.00 between 4 of us.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Lost a Company Cell Phone a few years back while doing a Youth Small Game Hunt...

When I noticed it was missing, I thought I was in DEEP with the Boss! I had to be attached to that thing 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year, so it was always with me when hunting...

We had finished up hunting and got back to the trucks and I then noticed my "Best Buddy" was Missing...so my Buddy I was with and the 2 kids went looking for it...happened to get into 1 of the thick areas we had hunted and started seeing a Bunch of Squirrels and decided to let the 2 boys have at them...we each took a boy and set down beside trees...my Buddy gets the idea to call my Cell Phone, maybe, just maybe we were in the right area...
The phone was on Vibrate...Should have seen his Son jump up when that phone start Vibrating by his foot..it had fell into a bunch of leaves...My Buddy's son thought there was some Evil Critter in the leaves ready to attack him!

Got a few good laughs out of it and after that, my "Best Buddy" got stuck in a zippered coat pocket when out hunting!

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
My brother-in-law...but the sucker found his way out again.

He won't go hunting with me anymore, so my plan half worked

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
If you look at it as the yearly blanket shoot it all works out. For intance, I lost a patch knife, but gained a pair of Orvis scissors.

I have a couple dozen mittens that don't match. Hats... parts to game carts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was hunting spring turkey and was using a mouth call. After a few calls a Tom answered and came in on a string. Bang,Bang, and my first Spring Gobbler. After running to my bird and then tagging the bird I headed home to show off my turkey. After I get home I'm missing my mouth call and I this point I was think maybe I swollen it in a excitement. Well the next day I found it sitting beside the tree where I shot the bird.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I just lost the remote for my brand new spitfire.
My son,his one friend and I decided to go out to Medix run Saturday night.After we got to our camp site,unloaded all the wood and gear got to talking about my new spitfire and was going to show Brandon the call, that's when I realized the remote was gone.
I was sick to my gut.
Opened the front doors,looked under the seats,beside the seats,no remote.Came around to the rear door passenger side to look under the floor mats.
Nothing.
Was just getting ready to close that door and looked up between the front seat and door and there it is.
It slid off the seat right into the hard door pouch on the passenger door.
Never thought to look into the pouch when I had that door open.
So I said a Thank You Lord out loud and meant every word.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lost my watch first day of buck last year. Took it off to gut the deer - next morning realize it was gone. Got a seven point, lost my watch. I've been back to my stand three times looking for it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
"Lost a Company Cell Phone a few years back"

Glad that came after my time. I just got a cell phone a couple of years ago, and never took a ringing one into the woods.

Saw that some technological advanced hunter fell out of his tree stand. He was noticed missing when he failed to continue texting his hunting buddies. This stuff is beyond me now.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
A freind of mine was a rookie hunter and didn't have a radio, so I let him borrow mine. He got lost LOL, fell into a swamp and lost MY radio. He did buy me a new one though.

I was going through some really nasty scrub oak, and lost a nice seat, but never went back in for it because it was so bad I was afraid I'd lose something else.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
I still hunted through a valley some years back and when I was done, I noticed the pouch on my fanny pack that held my binoculars was missing. I tried to retrace my route, but I never found those binoculars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts