The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shot by the farmer 12/3/10 off a farm I used to trap in southern York county. He then gave me the fox. I first noticed the black going far up the legs, then when I splayed it out back up I thought hmmm, just needs some more black further up and blending and maybe some black silvers on the head.

What do you think? BTW it is skinned for full mount taxidermy and my plan was to sell it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looks like one of those red/grey fox hybrids....

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is typically what I see here in southern York county as far as reds go. I've only caught one with the nice white snowball at the end of the tail and bright cherry red color phase. Most are just as pictured with the blondish rump and heavy black legs with greyish belly. I have noticed that the females tend to have more of the blondish color to them. I've gotten into the mange with the last several I've taken too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's the same here in Bucks county. Some still have the white bellys but more have the blue or black belly and the frosty hump. I have 10 percent mange here on caught foxes. Same as last year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i like unique reds like this. the rusty grey colors do make them look almost a hybrid cross or something of that nature. i got a red this year similar in bucks county and thought the same thing. very nice catch.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This Fox has alot of English blood mixed in with the basstard
phase. Its ashame the fur buyers dont like fox with
English mix in them. (the course grey hairs.)

They have started to breed into the local Mtns here in Michaux.in the last 20 yrs and brings our value down.

Thats just what the buyers have told me in the past.

I like the Basstard and cross color phases. its just a wild lookin animal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts