The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the fruit trees looking? Budding? freeze? Last year we had almost zero apples due to the early blooming/freeze. Kind of depending on the apples for patterning the early archery deer hunt

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just finished pruning 6 acres of apple trees near Rome. All looked good.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Just starting to wake up. Its been pretty cold up until these past two or three days. I'd say within a week things will start to green up.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as there isn't a bad freeze when the buds are out,should be good. We are going to camp last w/e of the month to meet with a state forester about a management plan for the property

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Trees are just starting to wake up. Last year I had blooms on my peach trees in March. Don't want to see that again. Long ways to go to determine if the weather will impact fruit production so there isn't any prediction on that. My front yard shows real green this morning for the first time that I truly noticed it. Heard peepers for the first time Monday evening. I would guess we're a week behind normal of the last decade or so.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update homeinthewoods. 2 years ago the apples were producing bumpercrops. last winter we were able to clear around them and thin out the dead stuff and a small amount of live branches. Will look at them this year to see what pruning needs to be done this winter. Found a few more apple trees this past fall in the thick stuff. They are scattered around the 38 acres so harder to get to them all to prune. But then they have been growing wild for 30-50 years without much of a problem so anything we do should help

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Where is your camp at WJ?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ahh Warren Center, Friendsville, Little Meadows is a beautiful area. Did a lot of whitetail research in that area years ago. Miss it.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I'm about 5 miles from Cadis road. Know the area well.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Keep after them. As long as they aren't overtaken by shading trees they'll continue to produce. Releasing apples, crabapples, pears should be on every landowners list of things to do.
When I struggle is when they're shaded by an oak.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OHaraTree said:
I love that area. A few winters ago I worked a winter clear cutting on 219.
That was the area on Hickeys rock rd.? How many acres was that cut? The vegetation came back thick and the deer must be loving it. The whole area is mature forest area and scattered clearcuts and food plots. The understory in the woods is very sparse,glad to see the improvement

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was this a private logging operation or a PGC project?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Same area here. I pruned a number of my mature apple trees this winter. Daylighted others. They needed it. Hopefully the weather cooperates this year and apples will be as abundant as they were in 2011.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts