The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from a week in North Dakota pheasant hunting. Had a good time and limited every day. Here's a few pics.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't want to say ND buck are big but here is a buck rub</span>

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A week in ND would be awesome. Regardless of those big Buck Beavers.

Did you hunt public land on your own or with someone?

How was the habitat?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Looks like a great trip. I need to figure out a way to get out west sometime. Was lodging hard to find? I know the oil workers are using up a lot of the lodging.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We hunted mostly public but some private. habitat is good on public but private is mostly beans & corn. Booked a room online 3 months ago with no problem.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Lilly looks worn out. What did you think of the birds themselves? Did you like ND better than Kanas?

A few more years of antler restrictions and Pa. will have rubs like that too.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Lynn,
Were the birds any different then the stocked PA birds, i.e. Tail length, body size? Did they hold tight or bust early? Any covey flushes?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I worked the old girl pretty hard. We both slept well at night.
I liked ND better than Kansas but not as much as MT. SD around Chamberlain is also great. The birds were great. Wild birds are just different than stocked birds. It is that difference that makes me drive 1500 miles or spend the last 8 years working on getting wild birds back in PA. While I hunt the game farm birds and fish for stocked trout, there is something special about the wild version.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some held but most flushed early. The PGC birds are better looking as far as tail length and size. There were a lot of young roosters due to late hatches caused by poor early nesting conditions. No covey flushes like quail but many cases when multiple birds would flush seconds apart. The closest flushes are always in between reloading

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thanks for the report Lynn and I'm glad you had a great time! It's a long drive out to the prairies but in my book it's always worth it. I just got back from five weeks in Montana, very close to where the oil drilling boom is. Both motels in the town where I stayed had vacancies, however rooms that used to go for $50 per night are now $150. Every little village seems to have a campground though and the camping rates range from a donation to $10 or so per night. I was there mostly for sharptails and huns, but there were certainly tons of pheasants and I had a lot of fun hunting them after the opener. I saw over a hundred in one morning. Most I encountered held well once the dogs got them pinned. I had real concerns about my young setter and how she'd handle pheasants but she did fine. Sharptails and huns are much more cooperative, however getting close to sharptails after about the 2nd week of October is problematic. They'll hold fine for the dogs but won't let you get close enough for a shot. That didn't happen with pheasants.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We encountered no ticks due to cold weather I think. We did talk to a local who said ticks were a problem in the area.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Around lake Sakakawea and we hunted a little north of Minot one day. Some days they came hard. Locals said numbers were down by quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Man makes me want to get back out there bad. Went to SD from 04-08. Hopefully will get back out there next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts