The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
That's apparently your American dream Ward Cleaver. Doesn't have to make it anybody else's. And seriously you do come off as mostly bitter and jealous of their opportunities that happent to go beyond your idea of playing sports, going to class and remaining poor under overbearing NCAA control.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I think if America as a whole and sports in particular went back to some of the values that were held in high regard when Ward Cleaver was in vogue, it would be a better place than it is today.

Some things from that time were not the best, but as a whole it beats the cluster we have today.

Sordidness and problems in sports have always been there, but this isn't heaven. Its Iowa. And PA. And everywhere else.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Iowa, you in Iowa??? I got some points I wanna burn in a couple years! All kidding aside Death, you hit the nail on the head my friend.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
One of those values was the whole "respect for your elders" thing.

A person can appreciate the addage that "youth is wasted on the young" only after they grow older. No education or training can come close to life experiences, both the good and the bad. There is a reason that pro athletes rarely last into the mid 30s, as the biology of the body changes. But the wisdom gained "the hard way" helps offset that. If I could still be full of piss and vinegar like I was at 28 but have the knowledge that I have at 58, man.

The actual number of universities raking in huge dollars and the number of athletes responsible for those dollars is just a small fraction of the total number of schools that have sports and the athletes in those sports. For those, the mission still is education.

Having daughters tha came up through the youth sports ranks and made it to small college softball and swimming, I've seen it. From the inside. I kept the softball scorebook and I ran the electronic timing system at the pool.

My involvement is not to the level of Eight's. He's seen it all. Parents who vastly overrate the ability of their kid and some who behave incredibly rude are indeed a problem.

And when guys like Eight express concerns about the de-emphasis on education, he has a valid point that should be heard.

I stand by my opinion that introducing NIL without some reasonable "controls", for lack of a better word, is going to have a lot of problems.

The kid at Bama who reportedly has $1M in endorsement despite never having started a game is an example. If he had NFL goals, this won't help. The extra scrutiny it will bring comes with it the added pressure to perform. Imagine if he'd stumble out of the gate, get benched, and "The Million Dollar Man" is ridiculed.

Even the pros implemented slotting systems for unproven rookies. No more Jamarcus Russells or Ryan Leafs getting massive deals without playing a down and then being a huge bust.

Its their free right to choose to chase the money. But anything that has an upside also has a downside. Don't know how many people realize or care about that.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That's apparently your American dream Ward Cleaver. Doesn't have to make it anybody else's. And seriously you do come off as mostly bitter and jealous of their opportunities that happent to go beyond your idea of playing sports, going to class and remaining poor under overbearing NCAA control.
You can continue to push your bitter and jealously narrative all you want but nothing replaces a good education and when you have kids leaving college in their sophomore and junior years to pursue the almighty dollar I have a problem with that, plain and simple.
The only silver lining I see with the NIL is that kids just may stay in school and graduate now cause they're making their money now...
"SHOW ME THE MONEY"!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
You can continue to push your bitter and jealously narrative all you want but nothing replaces a good education and when you have kids leaving college in their sophomore and junior years to pursue the almighty dollar I have a problem with that, plain and simple.
The only silver lining I see with the NIL is that kids just may stay in school and graduate now cause they're making their money now...
"SHOW ME THE MONEY"!!!!!!
In this country, there are many successful people (non-athletes) that left school for before graduating to get jobs and raise families. It's called making a decisions that is best for you and your family's future. Sometimes those decisions are tough or not how we thought it would be. And sometimes it's about taking advantage of opportunities that may not otherwise come around.

Also, do you realize many college athletes actually take classes through summers, etc to graduate a year or more early, well before their athletic eligibility is actually up? Former PSU linebacker Micah Parsons was on track to graduate last December, within 3 years after arriving on campus.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
In this country, there are many successful people (non-athletes) that left school for before graduating to get jobs and raise families. It's called making a decisions that is best for you and your family's future. Sometimes those decisions are tough or not how we thought it would be. And sometimes it's about taking advantage of opportunities that may not otherwise come around.
Those people did not get an athletic scholarship, they wasted their parents money or their own money.

Also, do you realize many college athletes actually take classes through summers, etc to graduate a year or more early, well before their athletic eligibility is actually up? Former PSU linebacker Micah Parsons was on track to graduate last December, within 3 years after arriving on campus.
He graduated and that's what I want to see from all these athletes. He'll be well positioned when he can no longer play football.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
A high school basketball player from California as a junior is predicted to make 1 mill by HS graduation. Another ESPN post

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
A high school basketball player from California as a junior is predicted to make 1 mill by HS graduation. Another ESPN post
Where was this stuff when we were playing...
I can image myself looking out from my 5000 sq. ft house in Colorado and watching mule deer and elk run across my 150,000 acres :cry::cry:
Jump in my helicopter to take spin around the property :)....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts