The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

This whole situation with the NCAA is going to turn into the blank show.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As soon as these kids get a sweeter deal they will be in the portal. I look for PSU to loose some players. The colleges in the larger cities will most likely do better being there are more business there to pay them.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Look on the bright side. When paying the players was "cheating", all those boosters and alums had to deal in cash. They had the inconvenience of having to launder the money so there was no trail to follow.

Now they can just add the athlete to the payroll and keep it simple.

Plus, a nice windfall for the govt and Social Security. Previously, no way to tax those illegal cash-money dollars, now Uncle Sam can get a cut.

Hey, maybe in the long run these kids see what their net pay is compared to the gross pay, and all the deductions to pay for Dreamers, Ohomocare, illegal aliens, bailouts for drug infested cities, etc. etc.

Might just make them think harder about where they fall in the big-vs-little debate of govt.

·
Banned
131 Posts
The only free education is those on welfare get free education plus rebate check to spend how they please. At least the athletes are making the college some money while the real free loaders are letting the govt pay for it

·
Registered
738 Posts
So besides a free ride to a major division University, these kids get to haul in money to sell their image and likeness and even hire an agent to drum up potential suitors.
While they are playing their sport of choice, now they have to make time to manage their potential wealth, market themselves, meet with potential representatives whom may want to sign them, etc. etc...
When do they go to school?
So what. The schools, TV Networks, and a host of others make Billions with a B off them. The kid who gets hurt, maybe permanently harmed gets............forgotten.Kids are not the problem, the corrupt universities serving as money making minor leagues for the pros are both the cause and the problem. Stop being sanctimonious. The kid that gets out of high school and can't sign his own name or add 2 plus 2, blame the schools and the parents.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The kids who might benefit from this are the ones not in the big money sports of football and basketball.

Until the conference championships or NCAA playoffs start, no fans are paying to go see a swim meet, a tennis match, all that.

Use golf as an example. Hardly any school owns and maintains their own golf course. A local golf course hosts the school's golf team for the noteriety and a little "free advertising" if you will. Crooked Creek Golf Club - Home of the Ball So Hard University Banshees.

Now, they can sponsor a youth golf clinic, and pay a couple of the colleges golfers a hundred bucks each or something to walk around, schmooze with the kids, demonstrate hitting some balls, whatever. Wear the logo hat from the club. Some alum member of the club who has done well in business just pulls the cash out of the console of his Lexus, no sweat

Guaranteed nearly all athletes in these so-called non-revenue sports would be glad to spend three hours on a Saturday morning just chillin' with their sport, shaking some hands, being in some selfies with the kids, and getting a hundred bucks to do it.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So what. The schools, TV Networks, and a host of others make Billions with a B off them. The kid who gets hurt, maybe permanently harmed gets............forgotten.Kids are not the problem, the corrupt universities serving as money making minor leagues for the pros are both the cause and the problem. Stop being sanctimonious. The kid that gets out of high school and can't sign his own name or add 2 plus 2, blame the schools and the parents.
There is nothing sanctimonious about anything I wrote from the get go here, you may want to go back and check the definition.
If anyone is trying to be morally superior here is the parents who think their son is the gravy train to their retirement.
I see it every weekend in baseball from April (Spring & Summer season) thru October (Fall season) and it sickens me.
As I have said from the beginning, a 4 year education should be priorized and if a kid wants to take advantage of their skills to get that education and save themselves and their parents the cost of a good education then good for them.
What universities and business's do are outside of our control, but that student athlete is in control of their ability to get a degree and make something of themselves upon graduation cause we all know the ability to play sports does not last forever and for a very large percentage never go beyond college.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Eight you should have me talk to your parents, I’ve seen it all, when it comes to little league through college. Both my sons traveled the east coast one summer from Georgia to Connecticut. Every parent when I coached travel ball thought their kid was chase Utely.

·
Registered
738 Posts
There is nothing sanctimonious about anything I wrote from the get go here, you may want to go back and check the definition.
If anyone is trying to be morally superior here is the parents who think their son is the gravy train to their retirement.
I see it every weekend in baseball from April (Spring & Summer season) thru October (Fall season) and it sickens me.
As I have said from the beginning, a 4 year education should be priorized and if a kid wants to take advantage of their skills to get that education and save themselves and their parents the cost of a good education then good for them.
What universities and business's do are outside of our control, but that student athlete is in control of their ability to get a degree and make something of themselves upon graduation cause we all know the ability to play sports does not last forever and for a very large percentage never go beyond college.
8pt...stay on POINT. This is about the kid who does the work, bleeds, suffers the pain, and yes reaps some glory if they good. Not the parents. If I am an engineering major and exceptional and a firm offers me employment at a very good rate of pay while I am getting my education everyone says great. If I help a college and the NCAA make tens of million including using my likeness and a pittance of that comes to me I am a bad guy Because I play sports. I have been through traveling the country during jr high and hs years with a child with one thing that can't be learned, speed and quickness. The child spent countless hours, blood sweat , tears, using that God given speed to learn and excell in a college sport to a level that resulted in a scholarship. The sport did not come naturally. It resulted in a 4 year scholarship. So if my child can't realize some of that revenue generated while still in school, that engineering genius needs to be restricted to flipping burgers until graduation. I know about the helicopter parents, I have also couched. But, your idea is certainly anti American capitalism. So my child has a degree, athletic career and after graduation success has followed, all good. But the college and the NCAA used my child for 4 years. You don't want your child to earn some money in collejge, advise him or her to be content with flipping burgers until they graduate. You want to put your time to better use? Stop the colleges from promoting junk majors and putting kids on the streets with huge student debt and no hope of using their major to get much beyond minimum wage. There are huge problems with the system, I agree but I think your on the wrong course.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Jeff,
I'm glad your kid graduated and will be a meaningful contributor to society with his chosen profession.
What I feel you fail to see in my writings is that I have been consistent with the "player" who uses college as a conduit to get to the pro's thus forfeiting his education for the money pro athletes get paid.
I really don't care if a kid can make millions selling basketballs on the corner with his/her face on it BUT don't clog up the educational system when getting a scholarship has money signs on it instead of a diploma....I'd rather they draft them right our of high school or the street corner and leave those classroom seats to kids who really want to attend college for an education.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think you guys are saying similar things. Eight has a perspective from the youth sports machine, and that brings with it the delusional belief of parents that their kid is going to be a high draft pick and a pro, when the reality has proven that the vast majority of these athletes are well below that level.

The number of NCAA athletes who earn their schools big bucks is very small in comparison to the total number of them. In the long haul, 99% of them will be better off in life if they focus degree first. The rest put on caps on draft night. So now if all can cash in a little bit, good for them. But keep the focus.

I noted my one daughter played softball at a really good program in the OAC. Won't say which, not a lot of PA girls end up there and my real ID could be figured out.

Ohio State used to host the Stephanie Spielman Breast Cancer weekend. Colleges from all over Ohio came to play softball, get a couple games on Saturday and Sunday. You played schools of similar size. When my daughter was a senior, we were stacked for a D-III team. The organizers said hey, want to split your squad on Sunday and your starters can play D-I Miami of Ohio? Heck yes!

The teams all design and wear their own pink t-shirts, no school unis. Its for cancer awareness and fundraising.

It was a classic exciting fast pitch game, well played. A guy walked up and asked who was playing. I told him. He watched maybe an inning and a half and asked, which team is which? You couldn't tell.

Not that Miami sucked or we were beyond great. THAT is how good and talented and close all these athletes are. And they are two or three rungs down the ladder from those players at Oaklahoma, Arizona, etc.

The massive high school talent pool compresses to the point where the differences are razor thin.

The Trevor Lawrences, Saquon Barkleys, are so very rare. Chances are, you ain't that. So get that degree. That's not a slight. If you appear in one NCAA contest at any level, you are elite and special.

But its only the special of the special that earn those schools millions. The rest fill the rosters. So great they can earn a bit for their efforts, but the degree is what sets them up later.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
And yet you're completely bitter at the thought of these student athletes earning money themselves but have no issue with the universities making millions of the student-athletes.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
It was just reported on ESPN that Bryce Young Alabama’s starting QB who has never started is a 1 mill. In endorsements already. Nick Saban even joked, saying the kid never even took a snap yet.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
And yet you're completely bitter at the thought of these student athletes earning money themselves but have no issue with the universities making millions of the student-athletes.
You'll have to go back through my posts and post my quote where I said I was "bitter about students making money at college".
I am sure there are many college students who have had start up companies on the side while at college. Entrepreneurship is a great thing...
I am against athletes who use college as a conduit to the pro ranks and never even think about graduating....
I don't think I can be any clearer than that.
BTW, Colleges and Universities are business's and the money they take in benefit ALL students on that campus NOT just the athletes...

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It was just reported on ESPN that Bryce Young Alabama’s starting QB who has never started is a 1 mill. In endorsements already. Nick Saban even joked, saying the kid never even took a snap yet.
I seen that too.
Now all the crazy parents who think their kid is the next Mike Trout will set their sights on making it just into college for the money they can make there with no aspirations to excel into the next level.
I can see Marketing as the class most kids will want to take in their junior and senior years of high school.

• Haha
Reactions: RyanR

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You'll have to go back through my posts and post my quote where I said I was "bitter about students making money at college".
I am sure there are many college students who have had start up companies on the side while at college. Entrepreneurship is a great thing...
I am against athletes who use college as a conduit to the pro ranks and never even think about graduating....
I don't think I can be any clearer than that.
BTW, Colleges and Universities are business's and the money they take in benefit ALL students on that campus NOT just the athletes...
And you seem to think every athlete that would take advantage of making money off their own NIL rights is not thinking of graduating. It has been the tone of just about every post you've made on the subject.

BTW, millions of the dollars that colleges and universities take in that benefit all students is possible due to the performance of the student athletes.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
And you seem to think every athlete that would take advantage of making money off their own NIL rights is not thinking of graduating. It has been the tone of just about every post you've made on the subject. Do you know of any that said NO to the pro draft and stayed in college to get their degree 1st?

BTW, millions of the dollars that colleges and universities take in that benefit all students is possible due to the performance of the student athletes.
You're probably correct, that is why teams like Alabama get teams far below their talent level to come to their facility to get the snot kicked out of them so they can limp back to their respective schools with their 5 million dollar pay checks. Now that kids get their NIL rights, it makes that OK?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Thats the American Way, regardless if the athletes have NIL rights or not.

Freedom to choose to get the snot kicked out of them and take the money.

If they don't want to get pasted, don't agree to schedule Bama.

Think the AD that agrees to play the game at Bama's homecoming and get crushed 56-3 gives one second of thought about how that impacts the players?

Heck no, he/she just funded their entire athletic budget for the next 18 months. Maybe they can also get on Clemson's schedule too.

Not saying that is "right", but it is what it is.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The American Dream is to get a 4 year ( 5 year w/ masters degree) college education, graduate, get a good paying job, marry your sweet heart and live happily ever after with kids and a house with a white picket fence. If you can get your college education paid for cause you were good in a sport all the better.
Somehow, that perspective has been severely altered....
But , then again one's definition of the American Dream in today's day & time can be dramatically different......

21 - 40 of 49 Posts