The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to NC end of last week to help out a buddy and hopefully put a couple bluefin in the boat. We fished hard for a couple days and did finally manage one.

The rig

Offshore sunset

The Bounty

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bbd!5b said:
What's the going rate per pound these days?
All depends on the quality of the fish. A lot of the guys down there don't know or don't care enough to take of the fish properly so the price suffers. Plus these fish don't gets the prices of the northern fish, mainly cause these are in warm water. So that said people are getting $5-$15/lb.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Very nice ! We once paid for our whole trip with a bluefin. One of our guys caught it, I think it weighed 485. Anyway, the Capt. said boys if we get that in right now, I will give you a free day. As I recall it brought $3200. ( this was up North, port in Conneticut, can't remember the name. Good show !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
bbd!5b said:
You guys were fishing comercially right? [/quote

In order to sell fish you Must have a commercial permit. No regular Joe can just go sell fish.

I think the commercial harvest of Atlantic Blufin has meet the quota. These guys mostly have Recreational Permits allowing on fish per boat based on overall length to fork.

I was in Hatteras all last week. Wind was Evil. I was stuck at the Dock for 3 days.
Afew Boats out of Oregon Inlet had Bluefin around 200lb.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tail Whipped said:
bbd!5b said:
You guys were fishing comercially right? [/quote

In order to sell fish you Must have a commercial permit. No regular Joe can just go sell fish.

I think the commercial harvest of Atlantic Blufin has meet the quota. These guys mostly have Recreational Permits allowing on fish per boat based on overall length to fork.

I was in Hatteras all last week. Wind was Evil. I was stuck at the Dock for 3 days.
Afew Boats out of Oregon Inlet had Bluefin around 200lb.
All True.

Boat I was on has the commercial license. Quota shut it down Fri Feb 15th @ 10pm, Don't know if they reopened it yet havent been out.

The recreational regs permit 1/fish/day under 72" and 1/year over 72". Correct me if I'm wrong Tail Whipped. Commercially we were allowed 3/day over 72" until the quota was filled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts