The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have info on anyone running dogs for bear, bobcat, or wild boars or maybe even dogs in NC???

i'll be down there this year and should be there into November...possibly even early December...i'll be working 4 day weeks so "could" do 3 day hunts...love hunting with dogs and would like to give it a whirl...doesnt have to be a great guide and lodge and all that stuff...could be an average guy with some bear dogs that would take me hunting for a fee...dont gotta be guaranteed kill or anything...id be fine with that as long as they aint chargin top dollar..

bear, cat, boar, deer probably in that order, all dog hunts...combo hunts are cool...i'll be working on the coast but i aint opposed to driving across the state need be..but keep that in mind as well...

anyone got info or know of anyone or anything??

just kickin around the idea seeing what it'll cost and all that..license fees arent a big deal..can likely get resident licenses...if i got the extra money, id love to do it..let me know if y'all know anything....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I know of a bear hunt with dogs down there.It runs a little over $3000.I could look up there name again if your interested

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
mauser,

Can't help with any specifics but I can tell you that being on the coast of NC you will be right in the middle of dog hunting fanatics. I've hunted in SC with a number of guys from around the Wilmington NC area and they all were dog crazy and belonged to big clubs. All seemed to be great people and I've received a couple of invites over the years that I just never got around to following up on.

I wouldn't be surprised that you make some acquaintances down there and get an invite from some locals to hunt on a club. If you do, let us know how it went, I for one will be extremely envious, huntin big game with dogs has got to be exciting!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hyde County NC I think is there top county for bears. I hunted ducks with a guide down there and he had a friend who was a professional guide for black bear with dogs. I have no idea of the bear guides name or his rates but shoot me a pm if interested, I can give you the contact info for the guy I duck hunted with.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cyril..not to go off topic but what was name of duck guide and was it z good hunt ? You can PM me if you want to so this stays on topic

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys! not interested in true guide services (at this point) i know im gunna pay big bucks for a guide service...im just lookin for someone that wouldnt mind takin me hunting behind their hounds for a fee each day..even if its a couple hundred a day...could be worth it...

Loridr, your right...i got a guy i can deer hunt with...thats a sure thing too....and, knowin him might get me into bear or cats...

and i know theres a hound dog club not overly far away...i betcha if i stop there someday im bored theres fliers and ads layin around with just the info im lookin for...or guys there that know what direction to point me in atleast...

just didnt think of it being im 650mi away...

better pack the whelen...cause mauser's goin bear hunting! (hopefully!) id LOVE a bobcat as well...might even have to try calling down there...i wouldnt mind being down there through nov and some of dec if i can find huntin down there...

taking my bow is out...just too much stuff between the stand and bow and target and all that...but a rifle or 2 and a shotgun will get me through everything i wanna hunt..and storage for them is a non-issue and wont take much truck space on the trip...

got my wheels turning now!!

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Well as long as your wheels are turning, an if ya wanna shoot a cat, let me see if I can get ya to do a full fire burnout.

If NC is anything like SC, cats are common. I've killed two, missed one and have seen a few more in SC just incidentally to deer hunting.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats awesome! im going to do some research...maybe i can call em in! that would be a blast! like i said, im working 4 10's with 3 off...i dont care if i gotta drive across the state..could be worth my while...(i know NC is a LONG state to drive across...) not sure where the cats will be found..i seen bear crossing signs not overly far from my place down there..and i know the better deer hunting is on my side of the state..but the cats might be in the mountains..i dont know...

i can always make a trip home to gather my guns and gear if i get some good leads before fall...or have my parents bring them as they will be down mid summer...if im gunna miss some huntin here in PA i can make up for it down there...cats and bears...man i would be happy as they come!

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
The low country along the coast should be full of cats; the area I hunt in SC is low country 50 miles west of Charleston.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome!! im having trouble digging up much info online on anything really other than their wildlife resource commission website..

i got a few connections already..and im sure i can make a few more...

got a pretty large tract of public land within an hour of my place...

WOW...my islands i work on are listed on the maps as having cats! and i can hunt them there! calling might be tough..theres a TON of rabbits and nutria..(another pelt on my hit list!) buddy even said he found bear tracks a few summers back..

i might be in for some fun!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after thinking about it, im pretty sure i'll be hunting NC this fall.....

my buddy will certainly take me hunting with his dogs for deer...

and if all else fails, i'll call for cats/yotes and ground pound myself for bear and deer...

i wanted to hunt Ohio but i most likely wont be home early enough...and i wont be home early enough to bow hunt...and might miss our bear and possibly rifle season...no real idea on when exactly i'll be home for the winter...

and, if im into hunting down there and laid off early, i got places to stay im sure..

i got a buddy that has a big truck i can buy coolers and have him haul my meat home if i kill anything and cant haul it myself..

my 35 whelen and my 870 will get me through and wont need much hunting gear..

i think this us gunna happen..

definitely want a nutria pelt tanned..deer, cats, and bear are on the hit list...i dont got high hopes..but i think i'll have fun...and if i can find someone to take me bear hunting behind dogs, i'll be pumped...im looking forward to my first deer hunt behind dogs!

gunna be hard to give up drum and shark fishin in the fall...but i'll have all summer for that! i wanna get out and hunt some new territory...see how my skills stack up in the south..

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
mauser06 said:
my 35 whelen and my 870 will get me through and wont need much hunting gear....

gunna be hard to give up drum and shark fishin in the fall...but i'll have all summer for that!
Don't forget about the NC early black powder season, one of the earliest and longest in the east. I think you get 5 bucks on your license so you can do it all.

Gonna miss fall fishing??? You gotta be kidding, right? You'll be within an easy drive of the OB fer cryin out loud. If you need details, ask Rooster, he goes to the OB every year.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i work for the national park service....

loridr, i was down there in the same location last year...i LIVE ON the OBX. 4-5 days a week i actually live in a cabin ON one of the islands...when im off the islands, i can spit from my deck into the sound and can see the banks...

so although i'll "miss the fall fishing" i'll still be fishing 4 days a week after work...so i aint actually missing it..just will hunt on my days off instead of fish...lol...

i might be persuaded to take the rock lock!! i want a buck with the rock lock in a bad way!...NC is 4 bucks and 6 deer total plus my area i can get additional doe licenses it looks like...

i think i'll have a blast stompin around the woods and swamps of NC...i dont know what i'll do if i rock a bear while im hunting alone..especially if my co-workers are on the banks working....deer will be no problem..but if i rock a good bear that could be a chore..but, my area is pretty flat..where theres a will theres a way...and if i rock a bear, i'll find a way! even if i gotta rug that sucker where he lays...

my hopes arent high..i'll honestly be surprised if i fire a round at a bear/deer/cat...but, i'll give em heck thats for sure!! we'll my buddy with the deer dogs does well..i might get shootin at a deer...we'll see what happens...life is all about connections..knowing that guy just might find me a guy with bear dogs...

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
I'm sure you will have a blast (hopefully, literally). You may end up wanting to move down there.

My retirement plans have always included moving to South Carolina, I love it. Unfortunately, the wife doesn’t see it the same way.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we used to vacation on the beaches of NC...always loved it..last summer and now this summer im working/living there...i might find myself moving down there for good...gunna test the waters and see how the huntin is!

hunting is either ridiculously difficult or they just dont have the hunters like we have..their seasons are long and bag limits are generous..im worried that hunting is gunna be ridiculously tough...but, i watched a guy on another forum NEVER bowhunt in his life and whack a PILE of deer...granted he was hunting the center of the state..he got it done..id love to bring me home some critters!!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
im having trouble digging up much info online on anything really other than their wildlife resource commission website..
SOunds like a need for a HuntingNC.com...

I would love to spend a year in NC, doing all the stuff your doing mauser, likely even your job on the beach..LOL...everytime we drive down thru to the OBX I think man, I'd like to hunt down here, just to experience the difference. A Carolina hunt reamins on my list.

One year we got a sound Charter and the captian and I BS'd about hunting the whole time, he ran bears with dogs alot...he said "you guys up in PA are your own dogs aren't ya?? You guys run those hills around like 'heck' for only 3 days or something right??? I talked with alot guys in this business and I never met harder hunters than you PA boys."

Never forget that...made me proud acutally.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
actually found a site RB! nowhere near as large as HPA...but, they guys there were VERY helpful...

im pretty fired up about hopefully hunting down there...deer hunting behind dogs has been on the list of things to do and im pretty certain i'll check that off this fall..i know a guy and he told me to come last year...just ended up coming home earlier than expected and didnt drive back down...so that has a great chance of happening this year..

bear hunting with dogs is another on the list...we'll see what happens with that...i cant afford a guide at the prices ive seen for a guided bear hunt with dogs...but not opposed to a daily fee depending on what it is...but, life is about connections...i just might stumble into a guy that has bear dogs that will take me...possibly even let me shoot the bear at the end of the trail..we'll see..

from what i gather it is THICK down there...but, we'll see what their definition of thick is! im used to loosing some blood and getting beat up on a good days huntin..

i dont care if i just get to spend a couple days carrying a rifle around down there..i think it'll be a blast to stomp around a totally different landscape..

and your right...my job..well...its hard for even me to say im working 99% of the time...i always told dad i wanted a job that i loved...i see sooo many people in my life absolutely miserable because they hate what they do for work..that makes their entire life miserable..that aint for me..life is too short to be unhappy..i know things change and you gotta do what you gotta do..but right now, i know im livin a dream and im gunna run with it till the chain runs out or i am taken off this earth..

dad and i were talkin about me leavin the other day...i just busted out laughing...he gave me a weird look..and i just said..im living my dream dad..im getting paid pretty good money to play around on the beach and do nothing..and i get laid off in the winter and get to come home and hunt..and im single and live at home so getting laid off aint terrible..he said that i do ALOT and it only seems like i do nothing because i enjoy my work..and he's right...i do alot..and i work hard...which is why i was brought back this summer...

the sharks better be ready...got plans for a bigger rig...and know a little about what im doin so they better be ready for ole mauser!!!

its gunna be a tough life come fall...fishing 4-5 days a week before/after work and hunting 2-3 days when im off.....oh, and thats when im "busy" at work with all the fishermen...so days are very enjoyable and fly right on by...10hr days seem like an hour..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts