The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
District of Columbia police say they are investigating an incident in which NBC News reporter David Gregory displayed what he described as a high-capacity ammunition magazine on "Meet the Press."

Gun laws in the nation's capital generally restrict the possession of high-capacity magazines, regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm.

"NBC contacted (the Metropolitan Police Department) inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated," police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said in a written statement. She declined to comment further on the investigation.

While interviewing National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre for Sunday's program, Gregory held an object, apparently as a prop to make a point, and said it was a magazine that could hold 30 rounds.

"Here is a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets. Now, isn't it possible if we got rid of these, if we replaced them and said, `Well, you can only have a magazine that carries five bullets or ten bullets,' isn't it just possible that we could reduce the carnage in a situation like Newtown?"' Gregory asked, referring to the December 14 mass shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut.

LaPierre replied: "I don't believe that's going to make one difference. There are so many different ways to evade that even if you had that" ban.

Play Video
Americans are more scared of guns than "fiscal cliff".Gun control has been a hotly debated topic since a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary school two weeks ago. Frank Luntz, a Republican strategist who did polling for Mayors Against Guns, said on CBS "This Morning" Wednesday that most Americans want stricter gun laws.

"I don't think the NRA is listening, I don't think they understand," Luntz said. "I think they can protect the Second Amendment rights and yet agree that not every human being should own a gun, that not every gun should be available anytime, anywhere, for anyone,"

"Meet the Press" is generally taped in Washington.

An NBC News spokeswoman declined to comment Wednesday.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Let's see if the media is above the law. As for me, if that is a real mag and if it is against DC law to possess it, then Mr. Gregory, as well as whoever procured it and presented it to him, needs to to prosecuted. If not, then it would be a perfect example of gun laws not being enforced.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep - agree 100%.

However, since he was using it to demonstrate the evil of the high capacity magazines - look for him to get a pass. Being a member of the liberal left national press will probably exempt him.

·
Super Moderator
26,991 Posts
Bluetick said:
since he was using it to demonstrate the evil of the high capacity magazines -
He did a fine job of demonstrating how simple pieces of metal and springs are not dangerous, unless being handled by someone with evil intent.

But I agree, he'll get an undeserved pass because of his membership in the Leftist press club.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Funny, he held that mag and no one on the show got shot by it.

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
I don't know the in's and out's of DC laws but they do make Pmag 10/30 Magazines...might have been one of those?

Pmag 10/30 Magazines

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
They make blocking kits for existing mags....I just don't know if that satisfies DC laws. It be a good bet though that if it was an illegal mag he'd of been charged by now.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
... It be a good bet though that if it was an illegal mag he'd of been charged by now.
Yea right ... Gregory sounded very "Obama anti-gun" during that interview. He certainly wasn't a neutral moderator for that segment with NRA's LaPierre.

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
I dunno....But if it was an illegal mag I'd be suprised LaPierre wouldn't have pointed that out on air. That would be a missed opportunity of epic proportion on his part.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I dunno....But if it was an illegal mag I'd be suprised LaPierre wouldn't have pointed that out on air.
So him not pointing it out, and the police not having charged him yet- that means it wasn't an illegal mag?

I think it's odd that NBC knew it was illegal, having asked and been told NO, yet they did it anyway in an attempt to MISREPRESENT the state of affairs regarding gun laws.

Imagine if he had said "I'd like to show you a 30 round mag so we can argue about how there's no laws against owning one, but it's illegal to own one in DC just like it's illegal in more than a few states already"

Wouldn't have had the same pizazz.

BH

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
BTW- they knew it was illegal. From Reuters.com

..The network had contacted the police department prior to Sunday's broadcast "inquiring if they could use a high capacity magazine for the segment," police spokesman Araz Alali said on Wednesday.

"NBC was informed that possession of a high-capacity magazine was not permissible and their request was denied."
From the Wall Street Journal..

“NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied,” the police department’s communications director, Gwendolyn Crump, said in an email Wednesday. “This matter is currently being investigated.”
Hmmm.... currently being investigated.

The guy said "here is a 30 rd magazine" as he held it up on live TV being broadcast from DC, after his company asked the police for permission and were told no.

What is there to investigate?

BH

·
Registered
22,062 Posts
I agree.....And if it was as simple as that he'd have been charged already. Call me an optimist but the lack of a charge is suspect especially when they knew prior about 30 round mags.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's really quite simple to see their dilemma...

Washington D.C. is rabidly antigun, as is the network and commentator.
To charge him would require undermining an ali in their "battle".
If they charge him, then he will have to defend himself.
He can't defend himself without undermining their arguments.

Quite a precarious situation they find themselves in.
Their best bet is the approach they are taking:
"say they are investigating" and wait for it to be forgotten.
The statute of limitations is at least a year... no rush.
Works every time and it will work again this time.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is a dilemma for gun owners as well. Many of us would love to see thatleftist idiot arrested, however we don't believe the law he violated is worth the paper it is printed on as far as preventing gun violence.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
And if it was as simple as that he'd have been charged already.
When politics or public figures are involved, different standards apply. This involves a public figure and politics.

Let's not forget the District of Colombia and its police force are under the exclusive domain of Congress. Gun control is a big issue in Congress right now. Lots of people looking to elevate careers and make political statements off this issue. If you're on the police force and tick off the wrong political power player at the wrong time, your career just got alot shorter.

But no, I'm sure that has nothing to do w/the delay...

BH

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Many of us would love to see thatleftist idiot arrested, however we don't believe the law he violated is worth the paper it is printed on as far as preventing gun violence.
The double standard is what's killin' me.

This clown and shyster of a "newsperson" is in support of this kind of law, he should pay the full penalty for violating it.

Notice though- the "circle the wagons" defense by the Left.

BH

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
I dunno....But if it was an illegal mag I'd be suprised LaPierre wouldn't have pointed that out on air. That would be a missed opportunity of epic proportion on his part.
What makes you think he didn't mention it, and NBC edited it out? Those shows are not live. usually recored on a Friday.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh... I think LaPierre would have mentioned it if it was taped delayed and edited.

It would have been classic if LaPierre would have informed Gregory that he was in violation of DC law though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts