The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone offer any help on this,i hunt deer with my son and both of us are prone to getting heartburn,i usually take a pill in the mornings as does he but last year we both forgot and either one of us had any tums with us.is there something that grows wild in the woods or a leaf,root, or something you could chew on to get rid of heartburn? any input is appricated.sorry i think i should have put this in the wild edibles forum

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I used to have big problems with heartburn and acid reflux,I just took a 35mm film cannister filled with baking soda with me,get heartburn-mix a little with water-heartburn will go away.
Just hope you don't have to explain the white powder to anyone!!
After my by-pass the dr. put me on protonix,have not had problems since then.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
a shot of apple cider vinegar always works for me.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
you need to find out what the cause of your heartburn is before you go treating symptoms. Both of the mentioned methods work, but do not treat the cause, they just make the results a little more "tolerable"

Spinach has enough calcium that you can actually use it to help alleviate the symptoms with certain meals too. I had a buddy that would put alot of spinach in his lasagne to help with the heartburn he got from all the sausage, tomatoes and pepperoni in it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
my nurse wife just chimed in too...make sure you don't have an ulcer...the cider vinegar will NOT help if you have erosions.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I had acid reflux bad, Doc put me on Protonix and it completely went away. Well my insurance decided it would no longer carry Protonix so they switched me to Nexium - I have about 45 pills left of Protonix I sure hope when I make the switch it doesn't come back ... painful!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
When I eat to close to bed time about 2AM I will have heart burn. I take a swig (shot) of canned milk, the evaporated kind. It is safe, cheap and works. In the woods chew on the inter bark of a birch tree.

·
Administrator
29,835 Posts
Put me down as a fan of Protonix! Twenty years of reflux treated with Tagamet and Tums became an almost forgotten nightmare after a fourteen day course of fifty milligram of protonix! Since then, I only get heartburn a half a dozen times a year and those few times can usually be traced back to some foolishness on my part.
Incidently, about that spaghetti sauce causing heartburn and then treating it with baking soda, put the baking soda in while the sauce is cooking and it will counteract the acid before you consume it. I use about a level teaspoon to a jar of sauce and it gets the job down with no change to the flavor of the sauce. Put in in with the sauce and stir. It will bubble and foam and then settle back down to cooking and it's good to go.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Diyasub, good advise I am going to try that, when I get heartburn, I want to die, I get heartburn/indigestion from drinking a glass of water!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts