The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with hands on experience using 100% natural wood stains? Coffee, teas, berries, etc? A large project with many hours work could get ruined by guess work. My projects are mostly pine boards with a raw finish, just sanding. Over night I made a coffee solution (stuff I wouldn't drink) that I applied to a pine cross. It took the stain, but I wanted a little more contrast. Don't want store bought mixtures. My projects are for eco-green burials. Darker is more suitable. I have heard of walnut shell sun tea, have any of you tried it for staining? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Trappers use different natural dyes. At least on metal they give a charcoal to blackish color. Most common is logwood dye. It is a red powder but turns black in water. Boiled walnut hulls produce a similar color. Logwood is available wherever trapping supplies are sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haematoxylum_campechianum

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Might want to try poplar instead of pine. It will turn brownish with time once it's exposed to sun light. I take poplar and wash it with Rit clothes dye. 2-3 coats and than a few coats of poly will make it look like walnut.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Do some internet searches for making your own stain...

I thought about it before...I think one method was soaking metal in something...oil or vinegar or something comes to mind...

Also like was said...trappers use all kind of stuff...sumac berries, walnut hulls, oak or maple leaves...can soak them in water or bring them to a boil brings the tannins out quicker...not sure what it'd look like on wood...but it has color...

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Friend of mine made stain for his gun stocks and fishing rods out of walnut shells and water, and left them soak for a few days. It looked good but then he covered it over with urethane anyhow so why not buy something from MinWax? He just made small batches using plastic coffee cans and baby food jars.

Problem I see if you are doing a big job like a gun case or book shelves is if you needed more and had to remake another batch that the color consistency might be different.

Good Luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been making my own walnut stain for 40 years. Just take the black husk and put them in a jar. Cover the shells in ammonia. Regular cleaning ammonia from Dollar General works fine. If you use just water you will grow worms in the solution. Just take a rag and wipe it on. If you want it darker allow some of the ammonia to evaporate. After it dries you can use any method of clear coating.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
used to be a show on called furniture on the mend. they made a lot of the stuff to rebuild furniture, mabe utube them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts