The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway is about 60'x70' topped with 2rc shell with slate on the base. Some of the areas of the driveway have weeds and grass starting to sprout, some more then others. What is a good mixture to use to kill the grass and weeds?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haven't tried this, everyone says it works though.

Mix:
1 Gallon white vinegar

2 cups multi purpose epsom salt

1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap

Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
wenglish said:
Haven't tried this, everyone says it works though.

Mix:
1 Gallon white vinegar

2 cups multi purpose epsom salt

1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap

Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.
This has worked well for me on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
huntr4477 said:
I have been using the vinegar recipe,but it seems it only lasts about 3 weeks or so.
Bob
Roundup is a systemic treatment and the Vinegar mix is a topical killer, it will come back quickly as you're not killing the roots.....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks. I guess I should've dug up my weeds in driveway seams while they were dried out. I will spray it again if it ever stops raining.
Bob

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
I tried and liked the vinegar mix...BUT it isn't permanent (couple weeks). I went to Tractor Supply and got their brand it works GR8, cheaper than RoundUp.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I went chemical. Roundup to kill weeds and grass. Ortho or Bayer lawn weed killer for the weeds. Grow grass and you can cut the cutting of lawns. Grow weeds and they spring up in a week, forcing more lawn cutting. I'm getting old for that nonsense.
We have neighbors growing great weeds. I found a great lawn of a former neighbor ruined in three years.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
treedaddy said:
put a little "elmers glue" in the mix as a sticker,
The dish detergent is the sticker.

Like said above, it works for a couple of weeks - I use pool or road salt in mine vs epsom salts - MUCH cheaper. Doing mine tomorrow as the rain is to be gone for a few days.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've got a red brick sidewalk with weeds. Will the vinegar epsom salt spray have any effect on the brick? Might try a lil spot first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts