The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After battling the weeds all these years in my food plots I figured I would try and work with them for a change. I have a small plot of 1/3 of an ac. that I used to use as a test plot for new plantings. I let it go fallow a few years ago so I thought I would try and spray the grass out of it then fertilize it and see how the deer would take to it. Also trying a plot screen around it for the first time as it is visible from the road. Mowed it down 3 weeks ago, sprayed the cleth last weekend and hit the borders with Gly and 2-4d. Spread 3300lbs. of pelletized lime this weekend and hopefully fertilize the plot and screen this coming weekend and drill it in

Attachments

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing the pics. I am still very jealous of your flat plot areas....

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
It will be very interesting to see what plants will come in there with the grass is knocked back.

Hopefully you will get some good forbs, and not too many thistles, multi-flora rose, and autumn olive.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, not too flat OAWC. I spot sprayed the milkweed this weekend with some Gly and 24-d as it was starting to go to seed, and will continue trying to control the weeds that I never see them eat. I also broadcast some lime and triple 15 fertilizer right before a good rain shower. Will keep you updated with some pictures showing the exclusion cage

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked on the plot this weekend and is looking good. The top half, which was the original experimental plot,is mostly clover and chickory. The bottom half which is virgin old field ground is an assortment of broadleaf weeds. The plot screen is looking decent looking despite the fact that I got a late start, and probably drilled it a little too deep. Next year should be better after the soil amendments have some more time to work into the ground. There is always a few deer feeding in it every evening i'm up there. I'm expecting more use the closer to fall we get, we shall see

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts