·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see this show? Thoughts? ....

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes. I think the guy spends too much time sitting around crying and not enough time doing productive things.
He did say something last night about the importance of a shelter and I agree with his line of thinking.
Its a TV show.....I prefer to watch it over most of the other shows on TV.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about you but I'd be fishin my tail off and dang near have a log cabin built by now. He's got a rifle and a shotgun. Can't tell for sure what the rifle is looks like a .22. I wouldn't miss many squirrels either.

He needs to quit moving camp and spend his time moving around hunting away from camp, because he obviously scares away the game from the camp making noise to keep away bears.
Can't say I wouldn't be a little paranoid about bears too, but a stout wall and fire might prove as good a deterrent as a gun or his electric fence. I would have brought some bear pepper spray with me.

I'm suprised he hasn't caught any rabbits in the snares though.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd also like to see his inventory that he brought with him in detail, just for reference.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have seen a bit of it. He definately took a stocked inventory - and here I thought he was going to be using survival skills, etc to survive.

I also have to agree he has spent way too much time whining and crying about everything. There is plenty of food all around him and no excuse for him not to be enjoying himself.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should have called the show - "I'll cry my way home!"

WOW what a big baby
Wish I could have gone

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i'm not gonna pass judgement...but I know i personally would have kept myself busy enough to not miss human company. I don't think he was as close to nature as he thought he was.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He should have watched Man Vs Wild episodes before he left for some good pointers ...LOL

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd like to see Les Stroud out there for 3 months. I believe he could have done it. I don't think Bear Grylls would have lasted one week without a comfy bed and a warm cup of hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.

Ed Wardle was living a dream that a lot of us have... So, he didn't make it...there was a lot that he could have done and didn't. But he was just an average joe outdoors enthusiast with no survival knowlege. The temptation of hitting the quit button just got too great...but I bet he, or myself, or maybe you, could have made 3 months if there was absolutely no choice.

A couple years ago there was a PBS special on some guy that built a cabin from scratch and lived off the land in the Alaskan wilderness for something like 30 years...?? It was about 8 hours long... Does anyone remember that? I wish I could find the DVD.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Good post Rugged Hunter.

Les Stroud and his wife lived alone in the wild for one year, years before his 'Survivorman days'. They lived very primitive like they were living in the stone age (don't remember what time frame).

I feel Ed failed himself....he had ample supplies, gear, and some general knowledge I think he just lacked the heart or will to live. Who knows, he may have pushed on and made it but the push button saftey net was an easy out.

The movie you are talking about was about a man named Dick Proenneke, its called Alone in the Wilderness.
It is a great movie, there are two others about him and a book.
I have them and the book, I think my wife bought them from Amazon.com. Google search it, you'll find it. It was put together by a guy named Bob Swerer.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
It was just on PBS this weekend! Posted about it in the universal forum...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts