The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my wine cellar. All homemade. Thirty bottles each of chianti, cabernet, pinot, montepulciano and bubbling on the floor is a malbec, blueberry and elderberry wine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hate it when people post stuff like this. Gives my wife ideas that usually end up being more work for me.

Just kidding. Looks great!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
foxhound, can you post a picture of the back of your rack to show how you made it?

I'm looking for a design to be able to make a wine rack in my basement...

looks like you used 1X1s for the front and 2X4s for the up rights?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was actually a wine rack kit that I bought at the wine supply store. You have to put it together on your own. I am actually a wood worker but didn't have the time to build one so I just bought it. I think it was around $50, and if I were to build it, I would have more time in it than it was worth. Most people just stand these racks against the wall, but I wanted it up off the ground so I could put things under it, so I mounted it into the studs and reinforced it with angle braces and a 1x leg on the non-supported side.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
My gosh I live in Harrisburg , are you saving that good stuff for the Governor or Mayor ?? Nice job and cheers to you !

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Where do you get the varietal grapes to make those different kinds of wine?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
foxhound1 said:
It was actually a wine rack kit that I bought at the wine supply store.[/b] You have to put it together on your own. I am actually a wood worker but didn't have the time to build one so I just bought it. I think it was around $50, and if I were to build it, I would have more time in it than it was worth. Most people just stand these racks against the wall, but I wanted it up off the ground so I could put things under it, so I mounted it into the studs and reinforced it with angle braces and a 1x leg on the non-supported side.
Are you refer to Scotzins as the wine supply store where you bought it?

I've only ever seen the little 8 bottle racks you sit on kitchen counter, sold in there at Scotzins...if it was Scotzins, WHERE do they have them hid?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
Where do you get the varietal grapes to make those different kinds of wine?
John,
If you take a trip up to Scotzins, they have lists of people who sell all different kinds of Grapes to use to make many differnet types of wines!

Or

You could call them if your interested in getting different types of Grapes and ask them, they should be able to tell you over the phone names and phone numbers of who has what

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
foxhound1 said:
Here is a pic of my wine cellar. All homemade. Thirty bottles each of chianti, cabernet, pinot, montepulciano and bubbling on the floor is a malbec, blueberry and elderberry wine.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Looks nice. I've been more into the fruit wines as of lately. Wife's cousin is getting married and she wanted a bunch of "fun fruity wine" (her words). I'm hoarding all my raspberry and blackberry though. I even keep a stash of that hidden from the wife!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woody, I usually get all my supplies at Scotzins but I actually bought this rack at Mr. Steve's in York.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John, Ditto what Woody said. They usually have a pretty good variety of different varietals to choose from.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts