The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was an up and down season for me. I didn't have a lot of time to hunt or scout with work and football practice(my son not me :D) but the football season was great. I did have a few vacation days to hunt and used them to the best of my abilities. I saw a few bucks almost every night I got to go and passed on a few smaller ones but it was getting late in the season and I wanted a buck. I had a chance at a great buck on 11-7-12 but as I turned for the shot my stand creeked and he didn't like what he heard and was off. so started Thursday morning I hunted a stand I haven't hunted in several years to give my best stand a break and to get some new scenery. well at about 8:30 a nice 10 pt worked his way thru the brush but just didn't give me a shot about an hour later I heard a buck grunting and chasing above me and hoped it was the 10 so I grunted a few times back and the woods went silent. I gave it a couple more grunts and in came a buck just like I was reeling in a nice fish heading straight for me I could see he was wide and big bodied and decided if he were legal I would try and take him as he came I saw he had 3 up top and as he turned broadside I took my shot and down he went I hit high and spined him. it wasn't the best shot but was effective I took another and double lunged him and he was mine. I just love grunting a buck in and being able to harvest him it is way better(for me) than calling in a gobbler. well my bucks stats are 5 point with an 18 1/4 in spread and weighed between 140 and 150. he is a unique buck and I am very proud to be able to harvest him. never actually saw a buck this wide with so few points but he is a fine trophy. here are some pics the woods pics were taken by my 73 year old mother who made the walk in so I could get some field pics she is the best thanks mom

you can see the arrow that was the follow up shot

another pic

and my yearly family pic

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Nice!!! Glad to see you got the family involved. Congrats!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts