·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right on Bobcat,
my personal pet peeve!!!!!
coyotes killed by dogs...
hunted by dogs,,not killed by dogs.
By the way,,my co-worker was part of the hounds men that took first place this weekend.
they would of had 6,but one got away wounded and never found after 5 hour search.

i personally think these hunts should be done by calling,but thats just my op.
i don't have the means or money to hunt over dogs,but that's not saying it's wrong or riight.
plus i am now to out of shape to go chasing after hounds for coon or yotes.
I would still like to see two seperate prize pools for these yote hunts..
one pool for hunting with dogs,
one pool for hunting with calls or still hunting.
why should 75% of the overall hunters (callers) raise the pool for 15%of the houndsman to harvest 90% or more of the pool?

i know this will probaly get blocked,locked or moved,but it is how i feel.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
all are entitled to their opinions here, as long as they don't resort to personal attacks or highjack the threads of others.

I'm not anti hound, but I agree 100% about splitting pools. It is night/day hunting, that's for sure

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
camo1013 said:
sounds like it should be spit.ur pretty much screwed if ya dont have dogs
exactly, it just makes sense, trapping/hounding/calling are all different worlds. Anyone who has done all 3 would know that and would have to admit to it. Not saying any of them are harder/better/easier etc... Just not apples to apples or anywhere in the same zip code.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you 4c game.
i know the upcoming hunt will split hairs as always.
i really think and believe,you need to register as a caller,or houndsman,
if you have a big as hunt as the MS, you should have two seperate pools.
let the 200 houndsmen,pay into their own pool.
let the other 1000 hunters,(callers,still hunters,)sign into theirs.
I'm being liberal on the numbers.
Be fair here,,,,
WHY should i pay the same fee or in,to the same pool,where hound hunters have the ADVANTAGE???
I WANT TO WIN!!! same as next hunter,
BUT why should i be handicapped,because I don't use dogs?????

sing up the dogs,record their license numbers,most hunts have snow,,,,,require official to go to kill site,,,back track hunts for ALL KILLS,,,

i KNOW call hunters can cheat too.
Trace back ALL klls,what the heck????
we are playing for thousands.
You got people doing lie detector test,,,,,go to the woods....
that's my feeling or OP.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
not sure why the other thread got locked hope it wasnt me but after all is said and done my personal opinion on the hunts themselves. I wish they werent any. no one gave a poo one way or another who was killing what how until...... wait for it............money was involved.
and furball gps collars are legal.

·
Banned
491 Posts
i dont hunt with dogs... but I admire those who do. I have trapped years ago - I dont really have the time to do so anymore, but i admire the folks who still do. So I hunt with my e-call.... and I agree, the bigger the pot, the more issues that seem to come up. I would say the dog guys and the trappers probably have more invested in the hobby than i do... i say good luck to all and lets put a dent in the pred population....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like i said before,,,not trying to sound like a boo-hoo here.
but if you hunt with dogs,fine,,pay into your own pool,,,
if you hunt with calls,bait,or just sit,,,pay into another pool,,
You look at past results,,,
dog hunters produce more coyotes then callers.
So should I pay into a pool that is already hamstringing me because I don't use dogs?
More power to the dog hunters.
You took the time and money to train/raise your dogs.
But I'm just a poor boy,want to finish in the money as well,,BUT please,,,make it a fair chance...
SEPEARATE styles,sepearate pools..
It's the same as hunting with night vision as it is to hunting during the day.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got sick reading the other posts that were bashing hound hunters.

Often times it seems the Callers are bashing houndsmen, but houndsmen do not bash callers wonder why?- Jealous much?

TCF2223 is a caller, and he kills so many Predators, maybe because he is doing it right.

There are tons of guys with dogs that do it right and they have good dogs, so they kill more yotes.

There are also Hound hunters that have no clue what they are doing and are lucky if they kill 1 in 2 years.

I am sure the same goes for callers, either your good or your not, stop all the jealousy, it is embarrassing.

GPS illegal?- CHECK YOUR BOOK.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, we are going to locked here i feel.
I'm not bashing dog hunters.
would just love to see the "hunts" be seperated into a even playing field.
THAT'S ALL.
as to your other statements,I won't even justify with a comment.

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
Bobcat you were spot on with what you said in the other post.

I don't hunt with hounds so my opinion is biased. Would like to try it someday to understand the houndsman pov.

I think all parties need to agree to disagree on this topic so this small growing group doesn't become divide ....

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Samuel said:
Bobcat you were spot on with what you said in the other post.

I don't hunt with hounds so my opinion is biased. Would like to try it someday to understand the houndsman pov.

I think all parties need to agree to disagree on this topic so this small growing group doesn't become divide ....
amen to that. samuel, cat season ends today but i run until the snow goes. if you want to run someday you could tag along.

·
Registered
653 Posts
used to be anti-hound for hunts....no longer anti-hound there's a lot of work they put into it......it's no joke training dogs and chasing them on the hunt. I've always been a caller, but houndsmen have been a part of this sport longer than calling has ever been......i just dont like money hunts in general. I had a couple bad experiences with some money hunts over the years.....some of you may remember this from past posts.... I wonder how many people would hunt these hunts if just trophies were awarded to the winners and not cash?

·
Banned
152 Posts
hunting for money.... IMO should never be, our fathers and grandfathers hunted for food and we have carried that tradition on and i will pass it on to my daughter. but for me its about making memories that last foreve., not about getting myself all worked up over money and letting it take from the tradition and heritage of hunting and being afield with best friends, now with that said i predator hunt, have done so for 10 years now, have killed 53 coyotes to date i work very hard at it and ive been successful...AS A CALLER. but a couple years ago a friend invited me to go along on a hound hunt it was an experience did a lot of walking and got great excercise, but i didnt do much hunting the dogs were like a work of art the way they worked, and worked great as we got 4 that day, but the 7 of us didnt do much at all other than keep up with the dogs so instead of paying the hunters BIG MONEY why not give the dogs a lifetime supply of milkbones........i dont enter any hunts all year except i do enter the mosquito creek hunt, my father and a family friend always enter so i figured i might as well this year! not that ill do any shooting, but i guess its a rule to be involved you have to be registered, but regardless of money, or beating your chest because you got the biggest yote, shouldnt matter because when your afield youre all brothers, sometimes i beleive with the way society is we forget that, and its a shame, hunting to me is one of the only things left in this world today where nothing else matters while your doing it! So ill spend next weekend running the call and watching the "old men" get excited when the song dogs come running~! take care fellas

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bees_obrien said:
used to be anti-hound for hunts....no longer anti-hound there's a lot of work they put into it......it's no joke training dogs and chasing them on the hunt. I've always been a caller, but houndsmen have been a part of this sport longer than calling has ever been......i just dont like money hunts in general. I had a couple bad experiences with some money hunts over the years.....some of you may remember this from past posts.... I wonder how many people would hunt these hunts if just trophies were awarded to the winners and not cash?
i love to hunt.
i also would love to see the hunts be for a trophy or a paper certificate to hang on the wall.

How many would still join for just those REWARDS?

i would.

someday,,i WOULD LOVE TO GET THE BIG 3 OR 4 AS IT NOW IS.

and all you get is paper.,,,,,,and bragging rights!!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What Is the difference if a CALLER is going down a road spots a coyote running up a bottom, gets out and shoots it, or guys jump out of a truck and shoot it in front of hounds?

I take it is only legal for houndsman to road hunt? Thats is the complete difference between the two, it is just plain against the game laws, run raccoons. Yes it is harder with hounds. But we have game laws.

The money hunts are bad news

They say these clubs use that money for other youth hunting and fishing, and to better hunting.

That is all good. Make it so every coyote turned in gets the same amount. One coyote per person, per entrance fee.

·
Registered
615 Posts
JMO trophys dont buy dog feed..vet bills shocking collars & all other trainng devices...remember JMO ...Blueticks since 1954

1 - 20 of 51 Posts