The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2004 Toyota Tacoma. I bought this truck new off the lot. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it besides regular maintenance and a few components rusting. Toyota replaced the frame about 4 years back. I recently replaced the front and rear chrome bumpers with flat black ones that I had painted with bed liner paint. The chrome grill insert got tossed for a black one that got painted with liner paint also. The truck itself got painted as well, plastic bedliner tossed and the bed got lined with bedliner paint. I installed the PIAA driving lights and bar a few years back.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Looks great!!

I also have a 2004 Tacoma a 4 door. I added a few things to mine as well i'll post a pic of it tomorrow if you want.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moss said:
Looks great!!

I also have a 2004 Tacoma a 4 door. I added a few things to mine as well i'll post a pic of it tomorrow if you want.
Post some up.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts

I added the grille guard and the step rails. Now my wife doesn't have a hard time getting in. lol Next summer it's getting the camo wrap. I originally wanted to paint the trim black but it's getting camo instead.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Haven't taken any pics yet, but here's a stock shot of what is more or less my "new" leftover 2014 Silverado in dark green metallic. Minus the white protective paper, naturally. Mine doesn't have raised white letters on the tires, either but has the same wheels. First alloys I've ever had on a truck that suited me.

Can't stand the chrome grille inserts, so they're being replaced with black billet ones as soon as they come in.

The 2010 I traded had virtually zero chrome on the frontend, which is why I bought it. Everything, including the bumper was black metallic like the rest of the truck. Can no longer get 'em that way. I hate chrome.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RobOz said:
Nice looking rig. HAve you had any problem with leaf springs breaking?
No, but toyota did replace the rear leaf springs as part of the frame deal. I have noticed the new springs have a nice arch to them whereas the originals had more sag than arch.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Denny, my toyota started out as an SR5 model, chrome this and that. The price was right though. That Chevy will look good blacked out.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moss said:

I added the grille guard and the step rails. Now my wife doesn't have a hard time getting in. lol Next summer it's getting the camo wrap. I originally wanted to paint the trim black but it's getting camo instead.
I actually like the 4 door more than the other models. At the time finances dictated the extra cab over the 4 door. If Toyota bought back my truck rather than fix it, I would have replaced it with a 4 door.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
I had a 2000 Tacoma that had the rusted frame, this one:

I had 175,000 miles on it and they gave me $15,000 for it so I took the money and paid a lot of bills with it. They had the 2004 on the lot so I bought it. I finally paid it off a year ago.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
One BIL had a dark green 4x4 Tacoma like that. V6, 5 speed TRD or whatever that was? Thing was in mint condition, but for the dreaded frame rust-out problem that came up a few years after he bought it used.

He took their $15K allowance and bought a new 4 cylinder auto 2WD Tacoma. Hates that thing like nobody's bidness.

Within a few months of him going with Toyota's original trade in allowance deal, they started with the "bring it in - we'll pop a new frame under it" approach. He's still steamed even more over that turn of events.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Had a two wheel drive pickup back in the 70's, one was enough, lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
DennyF said:
One BIL had a dark green 4x4 Tacoma like that. V6, 5 speed TRD or whatever that was? Thing was in mint condition, but for the dreaded frame rust-out problem that came up a few years after he bought it used.

He took their $15K allowance and bought a new 4 cylinder auto 2WD Tacoma. Hates that thing like nobody's bidness.

Within a few months of him going with Toyota's original trade in allowance deal, they started with the "bring it in - we'll pop a new frame under it" approach. He's still steamed even more over that turn of events.
TRD= Toyota Racing Development

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
clc said:
How did you wire up those lights? Im building a Aux fuse box for my lights and compressor.
I used two harnesses, they are designed to power only 2 lights at a time. Hots to the positive post, negative to neg post. The harnesses are powered by a switch which I have located in one of the knockouts on the dash. I'm using a fuse tap on the parking light circuit. Next summer I want to use the hi beam circuit for switch power rather than the parking lights.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Stikbow said:
clc said:
How did you wire up those lights? Im building a Aux fuse box for my lights and compressor.
I used two harnesses, they are designed to power only 2 lights at a time. Hots to the positive post, negative to neg post. The harnesses are powered by a switch which I have located in one of the knockouts on the dash. I'm using a fuse tap on the parking light circuit. Next summer I want to use the hi beam circuit for switch power rather than the parking lights.
Thanks. What switch did you use and how well did it fit? I have the 2.7l reg cab myself and love it to death. I have rigid duallys and ditch brackets and I'm debating if I wanna do a setup like yours next or a light bar. Decisions decisions lol

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I don't have a truck but four door car with a pickup bed.

Loaded. Heated leather, power everything, towing package, limited slip, AM/FM CD 6-Disc MP3 Radio, 276 watt amplifier (like I needed that!) and my first truck(?) with a slush box.

At my age...I WANT MY COMFORTS!!!

Gramps.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
clc said:
Stikbow said:
clc said:
Thanks. What switch did you use and how well did it fit? I have the 2.7l reg cab myself and love it to death. I have rigid duallys and ditch brackets and I'm debating if I wanna do a setup like yours next or a light bar. Decisions decisions lol
Rocker Switch

I used one of the knock outs on the dash. Relieved the opening a little with a file and it snapped in place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts