The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the people on the Western side of the state are better people or what, but I didn't see any of the stuff that people on the Eastern side of the state were complaining about. I didn't see any groups that the adults fishing outnumbered the kids and I only saw a 1 or 2 adults even fishing. Due to the water conditions here catching fish was pretty much non-existent, but there were alot of kids having fun. I have to applaud the PFBC for putting this program out there.

It could be the East vs West thing as I remember what Philly fans did to Santa Clause a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
My nephew and I took my 2 grandkids to kish creek and we had a great time..fish were few and far between but they had a blast..no problems with anyone

·
Registered
843 Posts
I helped my 3 year old land 2 today. She was more interested in playing with the worms and maggots. But she had a great time and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
The two MY's I took knocked the socks off them up here in the north central. hauled the boat all the way to the lake just to have it be about 80% froze over. Lol. Good thing is it was up about 6', and I know a little secret spot for when the lake is up and muddy. I will post story and pics later. We are thinking about heading out for another go this afternoon.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I took my son out this afternoon. I drove by two spots that I wanted to check and people were very widespread. Where we stopped to fish, there were 6 or 7 kids fishing and about 10 adults. All of the adults were just sitting in chairs, drinking beer and not helping the kids. All the kids were I'd say from 4 to 10 years old.
When we stopped at our spot. One of the adults said the kids hadn't caught a fish all morning.
I stopped across the stream from all the kids because my son is only 2 1/2 and I had my dog with us. I always take my dog fishing with me and didn't want him bothering those kids.
I only brought one pole, my sons, and after about 5 casts we caught a smallish brookie. My son reeled it in. I took it off the hook and threw it back in. At that point all of the kids on the other side ran upstream, crossed a footbridge and came onto the side we were on. Before I knew it, we were surrounded by kids. One of them was standing directly behind my dog, casting over him and trying to hook him. Irritated me a bit because I heard the adults comment on it and laugh.
We caught one more brookie while all this was going on. Then three of the kids got their lines all tangled together and brought it to me to untie for them. Still the adults were laughing. I got all their lines untangled and retied hooks for them.
At that point I'd had enough of trying to fish with my son while keeping my dog from getting harpooned.
I really enjoyed fishing with my son and dog, but feel pretty sorry for those kids having the parents that they do. Left them my bait and brought my son home. Hope the kids caught some,. If they did it was on their own as nobody was helping them.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I had several people walk up to me and my nephew and ask us why we were already fishing. One fella had two young kids with him. He was driving around looking for a spot for next weekend. When I told him it was youth day, and it was new this year here, he just said "really" and looked at his kids and walked away.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I saw a mentored kid and adult fishing a hole and thought how great...enjoying the outdoors. Then I saw grandpa who was assisting with the mentoring but had his own pole and was 50 yards upstream. Lost the warm and fuzzies........

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
mastertracker said:
I saw a mentored kid and adult fishing a hole and thought how great...enjoying the outdoors. Then I saw grandpa who was assisting with the mentoring but had his own pole and was 50 yards upstream. Lost the warm and fuzzies........
I had the same exact thing happen today.....grandpa was doing his own thing

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10der222 said:
mastertracker said:
I had the same exact thing happen today.....grandpa was doing his own thing
Maybe something with the older generation. It is all about "me, me, me" and instant gratification with them.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
There ya go Cspot.............plenty of bad experiences on the west side to. lol

bad apples everywhere.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I wasn't aware of till yesterday (probably because I don't fish that much) is that there are waters that are approved trout waters that are open to year around fishing. YOu can fish for trout but you can't keep them between March 1 and opening day.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
BowMaster5687 said:
The few will ruin it for the many. This should be a 12yrs and younger thing with ZERO adult fishing.
You can't just say adults can't fish, because many things they do helping a young kid requires a license and is technically fishing. Should be a maximum of 1 adult/kid. If it gets a parent to take their kids out fishing, I could care less if they fish with them too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts