The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a cam out by an old rib cage. Managed about 100 pics of crows but then this cat came along. Certainly hope I can locate him next season.
Shortly before he showed this BIG fisher was there.

G

·
I may be wrong but I think there may be a trapping season for Fisher but not a hunting season. If so, this is nuts...pgc statistics show that trappers kill 8 of 10 fox in the state. Why would they give trappers a shot before predator hunters. Like putting rifle deer season before archery season?

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seeking_Coyotes2 said:
I may be wrong but I think there may be a trapping season for Fisher but not a hunting season.
Yep, they opened a trapping season next year in my WMU for fisher. I've trapped/released four in the last two years. I'm really hoping to connect next season. Only problem is the season is only one wek long

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yea I am not a fan of hte short season. I liked the longer season and limited tag method, that way when you got one and you had a tag you could keep it. These things have such a large home range they might not venture by your set for that week the season is in.

G

·
I do not understand why trappers receive such preferential treatment over predator hunters. Yes, I do trap at times.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That would be cool if they both showed up and got in a fight... what do you think would win? those are some pretty mean weasels

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Good luck on them both beagler

Seeking_Coyotes2 said:
I may be wrong but I think there may be a trapping season for Fisher but not a hunting season. If so, this is nuts...pgc statistics show that trappers kill 8 of 10 fox in the state. Why would they give trappers a shot before predator hunters. Like putting rifle deer season before archery season?
I don't disagree with you that you should be able to hunt fishers as well. Personally, I wish they weren't here at all, but that's another topic.
This is the second time I've seen you post these statistics. Last time, you quoted trappers kill 8 out of 10 and hunters kill 2 out of 10. Where do you get this info? Just curious

Trappers in PA kill eight out of ten fox compared to two killed by predator hunters in that same ten
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2971027#Post2971027

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yeah Chet,
I looked at the regs. and you can get a permit for ONE fisher per year. Only in certain WMU's. I never saw one in the wild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts