The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a black powder shoot to day and can say I walk away with first place using my t/c custom 1 in 66 twist 54 cal.
target were set up at 25 yards and at the 50 yard mark,both 25 and 50 yd target blew out the center hole total 20 shots
I had a lot of lookers at the renegade custom t/c lock with a lyman frizzen,lock time was super fast some on lookers said the lock time was as quick as a centerfire rifle,no delay: I loaded hornady 230 grain ball over 70 grains of goex 3F [email protected] pillow patch .017
The load was not my hunting load but easy on the shoulder,my hunting load I boost the powder charge to 100 grains

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
GOOD SHOOT'IN!
If your getting those kind of groups with 70 grs,I'd stick with it.Thats MORE than enough to kill a deer and you saved 30grs of powder.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Great and not so great.Great for you(congrats)terrible for me.Last month T/C called me and told me that were cancelling my Custon Shop order of my Renny .54 flinty.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
good luck with it.
Next time you shoot 100gr put a sheet out to see if you are burning all the powder. You might not be burning all that powder out of your barrell. Just something else to think about

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Hi LW!!

Nice lookin flinter there for sure!!

Think you will get back smokin our Pa woods again this year?

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Gee a TC custom shop gun with a LYMAN frizzen. Such Blasphemy!
Are Lyman frizzens typically "better" than a TC frizzen?

I have a Trade Rifle, circa 1984, and I almost never have a misfire with it. Of course, I driled out the flash hole a little...

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
TC uses a case hardened frizzen. A frizzen needs to have a high carbon content to create the sparks. (It also needs a proper arc to compliment the arc of the falling flint so that maximum sparks are created with minimal wear ofn the fizzen)

There are two ways to make a frizzen that sparks. (1)Use a good high grade steel to make the frizzen, (2) add a layer of carbon impregnation to softer steel.

TC makes it's frizzens fromm mild or low carbon steel and then puts them through a case hardening process to add a layer of carbon molecules into the steel. In the case of TC, it is done by heating the steel to red hot and then quenching it in a cyanide compound, to add the colors. Depending on quality control, the layer of carbon molecules imprgnated into the steel may be very thin, and in some cases scrapes off the frizzen faces within a few dozen shots. (another way is to add a thin layer of high carbon steel to the frizzen face. like riveting/epoxying a piece of clock spring to the frizzen face. called half soling)

TC recognized part of the problem with it's flint locks a few years back and changed the lock geometry, but continued to use the case hardened frizzens. Lyman frizzens are generally made from a better quality carbon steel from the beginning.

So it depends somewhat on what you mean by "better" Some folks like the fancy case colors of the TC frizzen more than the sparking ability. Some folks prefer the sparking ability over looks. A really high quality frizzen, such as those found on L&R, Davis and Siler locks is a plain gray color and may look out of place without the case coloring, but they also don't gouge as easily as a case hardened frizzen.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
great explanation, thanks.

And I really didnt have a definition for better, which is why I put it in " " .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts