The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Kelli Gill and I live in Altoona Pennsylvania and this is my story.
I’ve been hunting for almost fifteen years in a small area just outside of State College PA called Graysville. We moved to Graysville PA when I was fourteen years old and got permission from our neighbor to hunt on his 86 acre property. Years of success keeps me returning to this property season after season. Since then, I have moved to Altoona but still keep contact with our Graysville neighbors. They have been beyond gracious allowing my family to return each year to continue to make more life changing memories and here’s my story.
I woke that chilly morning to my alarm, it was only 2am. I grudgingly got to my feet and headed for the shower, not looking forward to the days’ events. Yes, I had to go to work today. I grumbled through my morning decaf and then realized that it was my last day of work for the week and I had forgotten about going hunting after work. Suddenly my day had brightened. I smiled the whole way to work and prayed for the day to fly by.
Before I knew it, it was 3pm and I was on my way out the door. I never ran so fast to my car, I had high hopes for my short period in the woods. I was running through my timing for the remainder of my day, “ok,..get to Bresler’s, that’s about twenty minutes without getting pulled over, get changed as fast as possible, that’s about another fifteen minutes,..well considering I was four months pregnant, maybe more,…and get going back into the woods.”
I arrived on time, (no cops on the way), and got changed as fast as I was allowed, and headed back saying my hunting prayer the whole way. Walking back seemed to take forever since I was “hunting” on my way in. Walking quietly, paying special attention since it was almost 4pm and deer would be up and moving for the evening.
I finally reached my destination we call “The Ravine”. It’s a steep hill where Spruce Creek runs along the base. I headed for the ravine overlook where I could get in my stand and sit until it started getting dark. On my way to my stand, I heard something crashing through the leaves. I looked in the direction of the sound and it was a very large doe. Since I still had a doe tag to fill, I tried to find her in my scope, but with so much brush in between us, there was no chance of a shot. I continued towards my stand and just as I crested the hill, there went two big bucks and three does. I hurried and got up against the tree where my stand was and tried to get the second buck in my crosshairs. Unfortunately, again, thick brush was my enemy. I lost sight of all of them.
I climbed into my stand, which I keep only a few feet off the ground, and decided to hang out there for a while and see if any deer would come back through that area. I was there for about fifteen minutes and decided that I better get started walking out before it got dark. I got down from my stand and walked along the top of the “ravine”, heading in the opposite direction I came in from, watching ever so careful all around just in case an unaware deer was wondering in my direction. Several times each season I’ve jumped deer off that trail. Little did I know, this year was no different.
As I neared the end of the deer path I was on, I was making my plans on how to go about walking across the tall grass and briar filled field with the minimum effort on my part, my belly full of baby was not cooperating that day. Just as I turned and headed into the grassy field, a deer leaped from its bed under the only tall pine on that ravine top. I just caught a glimpse of it and what I saw I liked. A big white rack was all I saw for two leaps, then he disappeared out of sight. I ran up the small hill parallel to the direction I thought he’d go, for about five or ten yards and knelt down on one knee catching my breath as I tried to listen for the deer. I heard the crashing leaves come to an abrupt halt. I watched carefully for about five minutes, and planned my ambush.
I knew he was heading for the cut corn field that borders the property I hunt on. That’s probably where he feeds at night. So I got to my feet and slowly crept back about 30 yards, enough to be on the other side of the hill in the grassy field. I walked slowly, keeping parallel to his general path and cut across the field attempting to cut him off before he reached the field. I walked quietly, slowly creeping closer towards where I believed I could get set up for him. By this time, my heart was pounding through my chest. I was about 15 yards from my expected set up when out of the blue, there he was! Right in front of me!! I brought my rifle up and steadied on a tree trunk. I found him, he was trotting away towards the cut field. I whistled and he slowed almost to a stop and looked in my direction. I placed the crosshairs behind his shoulder and squeezed off the shot.
I frantically chambered another round as I watched him run off. He ran for about 5 yards till I lost sight of him behind a tree and some brush. The last I saw was his antlers disappear lower to the ground. I knew from past experience there is a drop in the ground in that area, so I was uncertain if I had gotten him or not.
I carefully walked towards where I had last seen him. I was trying so hard to not run, I needed to be careful not to push him if I missed or made a bad shot. I was right on the ground dropping in that area, the ground dropped, and so did he. I saw his white belly only 15 yards from where I shot him. I was thrilled, no words to describe that feeling. As I walked closer, I saw his left antler sticking up from the ground. He was huge! I counted four points before I got to him. I was so happy I was shaking like a leaf! I lifted his head and counted the other four points. An eight point buck!! I have never gotten a buck this big in my life! I layed my hand on his neck and thanked God for providing him for me and thanked the deer for giving his life. This was truly a wonderful memorable day for me. What a blessing, literally an hour after I arrived there after work, I was starring at the biggest buck I had ever taken in my life. Let’s see what this season brings!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Great story best of luck this year.

G

·
0 Posts
Thats an awesome story! You must be one heck of a woman to go out chasin deer while you are pregnant....My only question is how did you get the deer out? Congrats on that one and good luck to you in the future!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well,.. i walked back to my neighbors house and called my husband. Best part was reminding him of his promise in the delivery room nearly two years prior,..and I quote.."I promise I'll drag all your deer from now on.." LOL He was very nervous during labor with our first child, and yes, I hunted when I was pregnant with him too!
Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
26,955 Posts
Great story, HuntingMom!! It was a pleasure to read.

Welcome to the boards, and best of luck this season

1 - 9 of 9 Posts