The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John continues his 1984 K10 rebuild, but one thing about a rebuild, to do it right you need to relieve the pressure of needing something to drive. We went to small local dealer to look at Blazer he had listed, but it was already sold, then i spied this 2005 5.3L Silverado next to his shop. Fresh inspection and a new set of Coopers, it was really not for sale as it was his auto auction haul vehicle but like any small shop everything is for sale and we got an incredible deal.

160K miles on it, but the underside is fantasic and a few rust spots were handled correctly per John's inspection. Told it was a fleet truck in WV when he bought it and the miles were mostly highway which is how it looks as the engine looks great too. Looks and runs great,4WD grips well, REAL HAPPY!!!

Covered for 3000 miles on any issues, so far only the CD player won;t eject unassited. Johns already hunting down a replacement.

PS: A primer covered version of his 1984 K10 should be out by the end of school, final paint there will likely be in the Fall. Corrected a frame issue and bed rails this winter. Still runs like a top, blowing smoke rings out the dual exhaust...

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Goodness, he is getting some nice rides. Little John nice work and congrats!!!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Standard cab, shortbed, v8, 4x4, Chevy, can't get much better than that.
Good to see that Chevy Runs Deep in your family!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...he loves it and yes it runs deep here for sure.

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The hard part now is going to be the temptation not to devert the funds towards the newer truck, trust me, we've been there.

The LS motor in the newer truck is just an incredible piece of power potential. The cyclinder heads are just great air pumps, capable of fantastic airflow. You can make crazy horsepower and still get decent MPG. And I'm an old school guy! In fact we're fighting the urge to pull the Big Block out of the 69 Chevelle, and drop in a LS 6.2.
It's a VERY easy 500 HP and 18/20 MPG with an overdrive.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
FLDBRED said:
The hard part now is going to be the temptation not to devert the funds towards the newer truck, trust me, we've been there.

The LS motor in the newer truck is just an incredible piece of power potential. The cyclinder heads are just great air pumps, capable of fantastic airflow. You can make crazy horsepower and still get decent MPG. And I'm an old school guy! In fact we're fighting the urge to pull the Big Block out of the 69 Chevelle, and drop in a LS 6.2.
It's a VERY easy 500 HP and 18/20 MPG with an overdrive.
Did you ever read the piece in regards to this motor where they hooked it up to a turbo, and basically tried to blow it up? The thing wouldn't fail.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
My Son's first truck was also a Chevy shortbox 4x4. I can't remember the exact year of it, but early 90's vintage. Had the 4.3 6cyl with a standard.

The sweet part about those trucks for a kid, is all they need is a set of wheels and tires to look good. It also gives a parent a "little" comfort knowing their teenage boy is driving a vehicle that has a little "meat" to it should they do something stupid and wreck it........which most teenage boys wind up doing.......

May have sacrificed a little fuel mileage or those rice burners, but I felt it was a worth while trade off...

Should also add that I was lucky, as my son never did wreck it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a 99 Chevy single cab step side with the 5.3. Man that thing had wicked balls to it. Such a light truck with a big motor, very fun to drive. Only had it a short while until I picked up something with more room.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Those LS series motors make AWESOME power while still retaining good street manners. It has become the new motor of choice in everything from toyota trucks to older muscle cars.
Some guys are running 11 second 1/4's with full sized 2wd trucks and use them everyday!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Another bonus is he is only going to have two of his buddies in the truck. Less distraction the better.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Wish I never would have sold my first truck, short bed, single cab, 4x4 bow tie. Only had 60k miles on it when sold too. Would have made a great cabin truck now. Don't get me wrong I love my new Ram 1500, but that Chevy was great. The less distraction thing was a bonus, and not having to drive all the time was cool - always had an excuse because my truck had limited seating.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Keystone,

Nothing wrong with the Dodge for sure, but that Chevy with 60,000 miles was gem. All my Chevys have gone over 250,000, some well into 300,000. With 60,000 that truck was BRAND NEW!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
FLDBRED said:
Keystone,

Nothing wrong with the Dodge for sure, but that Chevy with 60,000 miles was gem. All my Chevys have gone over 250,000, some well into 300,000. With 60,000 that truck was BRAND NEW!
Got married, got a dog, had children ... space became an issue. Looking back would have been great to keep for the cabin!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember when you sold it...I think my kid wanted to buy it back then. The old HPA white decals...man did i give away a ton of those.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts