The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the Youth forum but thought I could place it here too. My son and I just returned from his first successful hunt. He is 13 years old. About a month ago we got an invite for a Youth Pheasant Hunt from the Outdoor Editor of a local newspaper.I bought a box of claybirds along with extra ammo and dug out my old claytarget thrower so he could practice since he has never shot at moving targets. He told me several times he did'nt know if he could hit a flying Pheasant with his little .410 bore. I had loaded his shotgun up with 3" Magnums, 3/4 oz. of #6 shot. I told him, you center the bird in the pattern and he WILL come done. We met the editor , his wife and a good friend along with three German Shorthaired Pointers at a local SGL this morning. In the end my son killed his limit of two birds while expending three shells. It was GREAT standing behind him while he did something he thought he could not do. I am so proud of him and how he handled himself on the hunt. Several times he passed on shots for safety reasons or because the bird was out of range. I think I had more fun then he did. We both had a wonderful time. What a THRILL!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Congrats. My 14 year old son got his limit on birds this morning as well. Albeit with a 12 gauge.

·
Premium Member
24,101 Posts
Congrats to you both

·
Super Moderator
27,531 Posts
CONGRATS to you both!!!! SUPER Story!!

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Great story... proud moment for the both of you!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you fellas for all the kind comments. He REALLY had a great time. He was still talking about the hunt today. Now he says he can't wait for Deer season. I think a little spark just burst into a fire after yesterday's hunt!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts

Thats awesome WTT. I love it when kids hunt small game first. It hooks em.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
My son tried to follow up Saturday's success with some more magic this morning. He hit a Rooster pretty well (or so it looked) but I couldn't recover it. It must have ran into some nasty thick stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts