The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to thank an ex co-worker of mine for inviting my 13 year old son to hunt on his farm during the Youth Antlerless season. After scouting the farm yesterday morning I picked my son up at school and we made the trek to our hunting spot. We climbed into the two-man treestand at about 4pm. We saw 3 or 4 Squirrels and lots of song birds. I spotted a Deer at 510pm and glassed it with my binos only to discover it still had SPOTS!My son told me he would'nt shoot a Fawn with spots. So the hunt continued. He kept telling me "Dad we are'nt seeing anything" I tried to explain to him that patience is a BIG part of hunting and that the later it got in the evening the better his chances would be. At 625 pm I spotted two Deer coming down the trail. I told him to wait until he had a good clean shot. We waited as the Deer got closer. I was counting on a broadside shot but they just kept coming. The Doe in the front came to halt facing us. It was 635 pm. I whispered to my boy "take her now and don't jerk the trigger".He sent one of his own handloaded 100 gr. Bal-Tips downrange. At the report of his Ruger M77 25/06 she dropped in her tracks. An instant, clean one shot kill
.Upon inspection his shot had taken out the bottom of her lungs and the top half of her heart. A perfect shot. I am so proud of him. He waited until he was sure of his shot. The whole thing took me back to my first Deer taken with my Dad! What a memory .Now he also has a good memory. I told him there is NOTHING in Deer hunting that can compare to your first Deer. I wish I could post a photo but I don't know how. Thank you for reading my post I know it's kind of long. But what a THRILL for a father and son to experience!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the kind comments. Yes he was VERY happy and excited. The smile says it all. What a thrill for both of us. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts