The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a good season; albeit without meat on the hook.

I passed on some doe along the way and the only really nice buck just would not come into range. I had one button buck two weeks ago that was acting like a kid after candy in the check out line!

My youngest son had a bad morning Saturday. He got a shoot at what I think was a 6 point I have been seeing since summer--kind of narrow and high. He had to hold for a long time until he cleared some brush---the arrow passed completely through. Blood was not real heavy, dark red--and spots only. We tracked him after a couple of hours for about 1/2 mile. He laid down twice but not much blood in the beds.

We went out again Sunday morning--but nothing. We are both pretty down about this--this is the first time either of us have failed to recover a deer.

I had a Muley in SD that I shot late in the day and didn't find until the next morning---I didn't sleep that night.

The last two weeks in the rut have been pretty interesting.

I never did see the onslaught of rifle hunters carrying cross bows--and in fact the only other hunters my son and I saw all season were a group of guys Saturday grouse hunting.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep--both for bear and deer. My son is talking about late season archery---I'll make the coffee---been there done that--hard to think warm in a tree in Jan. in PA!!

I should have mentioned that I had my 3 year old grandson with me 3 days and my 5 year old granddaughter with me 1 day--that is very very

Saturday my granddaughter and I had a long conversation about the fact that squirrels and chipmunks will take out as many as 60% of song bird nests--she got a whole new perspective on tree rats.

Also--my ground blind proved to be excellent--especially with the kids. In fact with a little heater in there the late season could get pretty well tamed down!

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Saturday my granddaughter and I had a long conversation about the fact that squirrels and chipmunks will take out as many as 60% of song bird nests--she got a whole new perspective on tree rats.
.... and I must say, so did I. I did not know that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts