The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have this up on another forum and thought some here might enjoy it as well.

Our last place had a really nice pond and I was really missing it. After talking about putting one in the last couple of years, I was really pleased when a neighbor stopped by to see if I was still looking for a pond.

I said ,"heck yeah!".

This is the field sitting below the house where we thought was a nice setting.

They had to clear part of my apple orchard. That hurt but we still have a couple dozen apple trees spread throughout our property.

Took off the topsoil.

Then it gets to the fun part. Moving dirt with a couple John Deere dozers and the 'green weenie'.

At one time they had 4 JD dozers over at my place with 3 running at one time.

Pretty excited to have my own fishing hole again even though there's a good fishing creek about 150 yrds from the back of the field. Just something about waking up and looking at that water.

Dad lives out in Ca. and it's driving him nuts not to be here to watch. Mom keeps telling me I might sleepwalk and drown, so she's not to thrilled about it.

I think my wife is actually more excited than me but I can't tell if it's because she's so happy for me or she's that into the pond. She's a heckuva gal.

Here's some pictures my wife in the pond for scale.

You need to look close to see my wife in this one.

Same shot close up.

Here's where we're at now.

Another 10 ft to go.

Another before pic to compare.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
What is the source of your water supply? Did you line it with clay? what was the cost ? Was the permit process hard to work through?

thanks
IT LOOKS GREAT

sorry for the questions Iwould like to build my own pond

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments fellas.

To answer some questions, -

The pond is spring fed from a spring that starts 500 ft up on the hill on the left side of the pics. We have 10" culvert pipe(100 ft) bringing the water into the pond.

As far as the permit process, contact your local Conservation District. They'll have a person come out and evaluate your site and will let ou know how far away to tay from storm runoffs, creeks and wetland species. Our guy in Crawford County was a big help.

If you need permits, your Conservation Officer will put you in touch with DEP and they'll also explain what you need.

Was really painless and everyone was helpful.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for price, my contractor who is also a neighbor, asked me not to disclose the price he gave me since he did it just to keep his employees working. They usually lay a lot of pipe for natural gas companies and also do a lot of ponds on the side. Might be a good time to contact bigger heavy equipment contractors who may be slow with the economy.

I will say my contractor told me he would normally charge $20 - 22k for my pond. Took them 2 weeks to finish(total work time, actual time was closer to 1 month).

If you do want to put in a pond, get someone who is recommended by your local Conservation District and get someone who has a lot of experience. My guy goes around correcting ponds that were installed improperly.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SuperX2Nut said:
Nice...Any plans for some fish in there?

This spring we will stock with bass, brown trout and possibly perch or blue gills. Might also try some walleye and channel cat.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
VERY NICE!!! My BiL has a nice pond he built on his property years ago and it really is the focal point of the land naw. He surrounded it with fruit tree plantings and food plots and his deck overlloks it as well.

He has MONSTER Cats in there, and lots of bass, bluegills, and few grass carp. He also has a windmill that sned in oxygenmakes for weak ice where it feeds in but really seems to help the fish. He feeds them but not that often...usually when guests are there or to get the big cats roused up for the kids to hook into.

I wish I had the spot for one...but not on a hillside like mine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From looking at these pics on my Blackberry, its looks like you built a lake! Not a pond.. Whens the yacht and docks going in? Haha.. Beautiful pics and awesome pond! How deep is that baby?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
rrroae, if you haven't already been to Pond Boss I strongly urge you to check it out... There are a ton of guys on there who know everything you could ever wonder about ponds. Looks like you are well on your way to having a great pond. Great work!

How big will the pond be at full pool?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts