The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to take my trusty ole Mathews Switch Back for a few years on cold even cool hunting days due to having both triceps reattached a few years ago.

Had very little incentive to try to shoot it during the Summer since covid had curtailed the 3 D shoots I was custom to visit. After surgery and before covid I was able to shoot a reduced poundage when the weather was warm but could not pull it on cold days.

Also covid shutdown my workouts at the fitness center until early this year when I poured on a lot of attention to triceps. I found with certain exercises that my left triceps was 10 -20 pound weaker than my right triceps.

Due to the layoff last year I could not pull back my compound even on low poundage on warm days. Bummer.

But now noticing I was able to increase the weight of my exercises over time. I drug out the old Mathews closed my eyes pulled and found I could now pull it back and hold it for a while, so I wiped the dust off the XX75 2413's, scavenged up a few 125 grain target points grabbed the Rinehart 18 in 1 target that I had been using for a step ladder and off to the backyard.

I shot 5 sets of 4 arrows two days in a row and my accuracy was much much better than I expected, So I call my buddy and told him I would be ready to rejoin the 3 D group.

Plan to shoot some each day, but have a lot of doubt that I with be in form to hunt with my compound.

I was told the left triceps surgery was not a total success but a surgeon believes he could improve the chances of my being able to strengthen my triceps with surgery work and time.

However, being 77 this archery season I am not anxious for another surgery, with lengthly therapy and time not being able to shoot is worth the effort....and pain.

I am very thankful that my triceps is not a hand cap in any way, as I can still climb trees, hang stands and do all the normal things in life I need and love to do.

I do sincerely miss the experiences of hunting with my Switch Back; however, if I could shoot 3D in the Summer and have a few more years of archery hunting with the Ravin crossbow I will be very thankful...

·
Super Moderator
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 of us bought Switch Backs the same month several years ago without discussing pre-purchase and they both are still shooting 3D and hunting with them. My switch back could always shot better than I could thus give me confidence to shoot some nice bucks.

·
Registered
17,076 Posts
I tore my left rotator cuff last may(2021) and found i could shoot lefty pretty well till i regained enough strength to go back righty about labor day. Tore my right rotator cuff in december(2021) and had surgery on it jan 11. Started shooting again around the first of may getting ready for a bear hunt. Cranked my bow down to 48#, and the first shot or two it was all i could do to get it drawn, after that it got easier with each shot. I shot 1 arrow, went to the target and pulled it, usualy about 25 shots every nite. My accuracy was pretty good, but pulling it for the first shot had me a little worried. Well no shots taken on my bear hunt and the day after i got back i had surgery on the left rotator cuff. If it heals as quickly as the right side i should be able to start flinging arrows again about mid september and hopefully be ready for fall festivities. The rehab place i go to has a fitness center and i'm going to get together with the folks there and work on getting myself back in shape asap. I don't want to have to worry about getting drawn on a crisp november morning, and getting fit again will be priority #1 for me.

B2H, i hope i'm still hunting at 77, you're the MAN!👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
52 on now on normal days. After the first surgery I went from 62 to 55 and took a few bucks and an a 250 lb. black bear. Now on cool days and setting on the stand for a while 0. In my attempts when I first arrived to my stand I could pull it back so I would do that every 30 minutes or so, however, after an hour or so I would not be able to draw on a deer.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
52 on now on normal days. After the first surgery I went from 62 to 55 and took a few bucks and an a 250 lb. black bear. Now on cool days and setting on the stand for a while 0. In my attempts when I first arrived to my stand I could pull it back so I would do that every 30 minutes or so, however, after an hour or so I would not be able to draw on a deer.
That's a lot of poundage. My kids shot many deer with 35 pound bows. So you could still go a lot lower if you had to.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
B2H, you sound like you're well on your way. I'm sure that Switchback will help some as it's so smooth to draw. I love mine so much that when I won a Mathews Vertix this winter, I gave it to my oldest son.

·
Super Moderator
14,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good suggestions but......Can't go any lower than 50 lbs. with my Switch Back..... Have two other bows High Country with a limit of 60. Not anxious to spend much $$ to reduce my Switch Back or buy a new compound. I think that bridge has sailed with Father Time.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Good Luck this upcoming season Born2Hunt. It's hard coming back from surgeries and takes a lot of work, sounds like you're on the right track. My shoulder surgery changed me anatomically, because they shortened my collar bone. Now when I pull my bow back it pulls the muscles in the side of my neck and causes neck pain. But I have an elk hunt coming in eight weeks and won't let a little pain stop me. I try to shoot twenty good quality arrows most evenings always finishing with four arrows at 80 yards.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good Luck this upcoming season Born2Hunt. It's hard coming back from surgeries and takes a lot of work, sounds like you're on the right track. My shoulder surgery changed me anatomically, because they shortened my collar bone. Now when I pull my bow back it pulls the muscles in the side of my neck and causes neck pain. But I have an elk hunt coming in eight weeks and won't let a little pain stop me. I try to shoot twenty good quality arrows most evenings always finishing with four arrows at 80 yards.
(Rabid) hunter's never ever give in to their ailments or pitfalls and you fall into that category. Good luck on your trip

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good suggestions but......Can't go any lower than 50 lbs. with my Switch Back..... Have two other bows High Country with a limit of 60. Not anxious to spend much $$ to reduce my Switch Back or buy a new compound. I think that bridge has sailed with Father Time.
I
Only if you let it, keep exercising all year long and you will maintain most of what you have, you have the backbone and the mentality to do it ,we can't give up ever.Good hunting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts