The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a reservoir where I work. I just started there this past fall. I noticed a trail from the dam breast to the outflow. When I asked the guys what it was from, they said it was beaver. It didn't look wide enough to me to be beaver. Guess I didn't think much about it after that. On Tuesday, I was talking to one of the guys and he told me he had seen otters in the lake at the end of September. I was doing the rounds yesterday morning and when I was on the breast, I noticed some tracks and a slide down the face of the dam. I checked it out and it was definitley otter. You could clearly see the tracks and where the tail was dragging in the snow behind it. When it got to the top of the dam, it slid in the snow down to the outflow, no marks where it used it's feet at all. Pretty cool. So I bought some new batteries and put them in my trailcam. I'm gonna set it up tomorrow to try to get some pics of it. I know otters are increasing in PA but I've never seen one here. The only otters I've ever seen were in Yellowstone Park and Quebec on a caribou hunt. I will post my results if I get some pics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts