The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monday was the opening day of the Pennsylvania rifle season. My eye surgery this fall caused me to miss the entire archery season, but I made up for it with this opening day buck. He strolled by at 1:55 PM on the way to a bedding area. He was the only deer I saw.

When I first saw him I knew he was a buck. When I realized he was a shooter I thought I might not get a shot opportunity. He was in some really thick stuff and I could barely see him. Only one opening was ahead. When he hit it I hit the trigger. I didn't see him go down, but I thought I heard the bullet hit.

He is a pretty good 8-point, but what is unusual is that he has a severe underbite. Some people call it "parrot jaw." He field dressed at 120 pounds, making him much easier to drag than last year's 190 pound buck. Plus, he walked to the top of the hill for me before I shot him, so I had to go through about 100 yards of thick stuff, and then it was mostly downhill.

In the picture I'm holding the lower jaw shut -- if I left it slack open it would be misleading. It seems like he would have had trouble eating, with his lower jaw half the length of his upper jaw. I figure he was 3½ years old, so maybe with better nutrition he would have had better body size, but his rack wasn't bad for a deer of that age.

The last three times I've hunted this spot on opening day, I haven't seen many deer but I've had pretty good luck:
2012 -- I saw two bucks and a doe. One of the bucks was a 10-point and I shot him at 7:30 AM.
2015 -- I saw two bucks, and shot one of them at 11:00 AM, a 190-pound 6-point with 17" main beams.
2016 -- I saw one deer, this buck, and shot him at 1:55.

That's only 6 deer in three opening days, five were bucks, and I shot three of them. I guess you don't need to see a lot of deer if you see the right one.

The shots were not especially easy, bu I was fortunate to be able to make the shot all three times. The 2012 buck was about 80 yards away, and I had to shoot offhand. I actually missed the first shot because of my backpack strap. (I now wear a cross-shoulder pack with only one strap.) The 2015 buck was 140 yards away and I had less than a second to make the shot. The 2016 buck was only 50 yards away, but I could hardly see him and needed to get a bullet through the brush with no time to hesitate. I shot at the last possible second before he disappeared.

Have you ever seen a jaw like that?

Steve.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Nice buck, good shot. Never saw one with that deformity, very strange. Goes to show ya how well they can do sometimes against the odds.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a called a parrot jaw
Right, as I said. Also called "brachygnathia." (I'll wait while you untie your tongue from that word.) The word means "abnormally short lower jaw," which is a lot easier to say. A deer like this is also called a "dork deer." So I shot a dork. Wonder where his horn-rimmed glasses are. And his pocket protector.

This seems to be a pretty much textbook example of a parrot jaw, or dork deer. And not a bad rack compared to some of the others. He also had a swollen nose. The taxidermist skinned him for a Euro-mount and told me the nose was full of infection. I doubt that had anything to do with the jaw deformity.

Here's a pretty good article on this abnormality: "Dork" Deer
Taxidermy.net also has a thread on jaw deformities: The Official Dork Deer thread

Steve.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Right, as I said. Also called "brachygnathia." (I'll wait while you untie your tongue from that word.) The word means "abnormally short lower jaw," which is a lot easier to say. A deer like this is also called a "dork deer." So I shot a dork. Wonder where his horn-rimmed glasses are. And his pocket protector.

This seems to be a pretty much textbook example of a parrot jaw, or dork deer. And not a bad rack compared to some of the others. He also had a swollen nose. The taxidermist skinned him for a Euro-mount and told me the nose was full of infection. I doubt that had anything to do with the jaw deformity.

Here's a pretty good article on this abnormality: "Dork" Deer
Taxidermy.net also has a thread on jaw deformities: The Official Dork Deer thread

Steve.

Sorry i guess thats what i get for not reading the whole post. My buddy killed one about 10 yeard ago, thats the only reason i knew what it was.

·
Super Moderator
13,799 Posts
Though not a common abnormality I saw a number of them over the years of my career. I suspect there were a lot more of them that I never noticed though. I usually noticed them during the time period of the first of February to the end of May while we were doing embryo checks on does. We removed a lower jawbone from each doe so it was noticeable when you had a parrot jaw. I found a pretty fair number of them over my career just in that process. Most of the deer I handled I didn't look much at the jaw so I suspect I handled a lot more and just dumped them in the pit without ever noticing if they had a jaw abnormality.

Since deer don't have upper front teeth parrot jaw isn't really much of a problem for deer though as near as I can tell.

Nice buck.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Nice buck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts