The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is I'll look at them at the Sporting big box store and look at the new ATV's just so I'll get sticker shock. And to remind myself what the hiking exercise is for.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I was 38 before we owned an ATV and can't believe we waited this long. My dad was 78 and got one as he wasn't as good with dragging deer out as he once was. Since then, we got two more. Now we're looking at side-by-sides. Just another way to enjoy more time in the woods.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
While we now have an ATV for working around the camp, I still make sure to take a walk around the 150 acres at least once when i am up at the cabin. You need to walk the woods, at all times of the year, to know what is happening with the wildlife on your property.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
gary3414 said:
mus42tang said:
Is I'll look at them at the Sporting big box store and look at the new ATV's just so I'll get sticker shock. And to remind myself what the hiking exercise is for.

Not saying I'd never own one to use on the farm. But it peeves me that able-bodied, grown men gotta use one to go everywhere they go in the woods.

I ain't an old fart yet. But I ain't a spring chicken either. I can and still do walk my butt up a hill.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Some guys drive a truck to their parking spot and then hike the rest of the way in. Some guys use an ATV.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
When one thinks of all the hours and miles that are put on ATV/UTV's in this country in the course of a year.......the occasional guy, would could walk, but instead rides his ATV/UTV up through the woods past other hunters.....is certainly less than 1% of total use.
I don't feel the entire ATV/UTV crowd should be judged by that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've owned quads and dirt bikes all my life. A side by side now. I bet I could get out and walk/hike farther and faster than the people making these idiotic statements. What on earth was this thread even started for?

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's an attempt at a quad bashing thread started because other people started an ATV tresspassing thread. Childish. This thread got moved from the General forum to the ATV forum. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
That's interesting because I had the opposite view. From the first time I saw an atv in middle school I wanted one badly. I grew up in an urban area where there was nowhere to ride legally but I always wante one. At that time we had go karts and rode them illegally but I was always checking out atvs on people's trailers when I was on the highway.

Once I had an income and my own place, I went out and got my first atv. I've had a couple since and still enjoy them. I don't put many miles on anymore but they a fun and versitile machines.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
ATVs give my 85 year old dad more ability to keep hunting. In the summer, my family likes to ride. And they're fun. I still put on a ton of boot leather miles. Still hunting and shed hunting aren't done on an ATV.

When I was younger, cross country skiers used to annoy me in flintlock season. Now, nothing bothers me. Me getting a deer does not out-rank someone else enjoying the outdoors in the manor they choose.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
To each their own. I walk in 95% of the time but sometimes I can get an hour in the woods before dark by using my ATV. I'm on private land. Wildlife is used to the sound and no one else to bother.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree on using ATV's if you have the money and a legal place to ride so be it. My old man has really bad lungs and is on oxygen and yet he still hunts and an atv allows him to get back into places he wouldn't be able to if he had to walk on foot. If you can use them on the property your hunting they make dragging a deer a lot easier too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree. Ride where you're allowed to ride. They bring pleasure to those who use them. Either by allowing those who have a hitch in their giddy up access, the ease of getting a deer out of the woods, or the 2 hour adrenaline rush of a race and everything in between. If they are not for you who's to say your wrong? Just don't tell me I'm wrong if they are for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts