The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this goofy obsession since I was a kid. Keeping track of how many deer I see, birds I see, shots I take . . . ad infinitum. I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the past 11 years, tracking different statistics each time I go out hunting. Here is some of the "what does it take" data from my experience grouse hunting in Pennslyvania this year compared to past years. (I'm pretty sure Barberry has done similar tracking for an even longer timeframe and could come up with his numbers as well).

How often do I flush a grouse?
This season every 23 minutes, historically every 22 minutes.

How often do I shoot at grouse?
Once every 97 minutes (1.6 hours), historically once every 1.9 hours.

What percentage of grouse do I shoot at?
23% this year, 20% historically.

How many grouse do I have to flush to finally kill one?
This year one bird killed for every 12 flushed, historically one out of every 21.

How many hours do I hunt to kill a grouse?
4.5 hours/kill this year, 7.7 most years.

What percentage of birds shot at are killed?
This year 36%, most years 24%.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very interesting information. I'm very jealous of the flush every 23 minutes. Hopefully with a lot of hard work I can get close to that one day.

Your 36% kill rate is also very impressive (even the 24% is). I've read were the average is around 10% or slightly lower. I'd put myself in the latter category for sure.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Oh man, you may have it worse than me!

I keep the same stats (flushes, shots, kills, hours hunted) for everything I hunt plus a daily hunting log where I make diary-type entries (where I hunted, who I was with, weather conditions, habitat and general observations).

My dad did the same thing and got me started on it when I was a kid, must be a hereditary obsession?

I keep similar statistics for trapping, fishing, trap shooting...

I have all the stats my dad kept throughout his lifetime of hunting and it's neat to look back through them once and a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few other comments. I track birds shot at but not shots fired. I shot a pump this year and killed some birds on the third shot. Over the years I probably average two shots at every bird meaning my "shot's connecting" would have been 1 out of 5.5 this year and 1/8 over all.

I hope my statistics didn't come across as bragging. They weren't intended that way. I know there are plenty of folks on here that would have way better numbers than what I have shown.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was influenced by my father as well. He didn't track small game, but continues to record not only every deer he's killed over the years, but every deer he's seen while hunting as well. I think this will be his 65th year of doing so.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
My dad tracked everything. Years after he passed I went through his logs and added up lifetime totals for everything. Human nature being what it is (or maybe just my obsessive nature), I now find my myself comparing my totals to his.

He hunted during the heyday of small game in southeast PA and I doubt I'll ever come close to his pheasant and rabbit kills, but that won't stop me from trying!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for sharing....very interesting !!

·
Registered
24,815 Posts
May I suggest a different approach.....

<span style="font-style: italic">But a diary is pretty matter-of-fact. You sit around with a couple of shooting buddies and one of them says "...that was the day you had the double on green winged teal..." Without a diary you can agree and return the compliment with something along the line of"...yes,that's right, I remember it well because it was just two weeks later that you had a 94 at Grouse Ridge Gun Club..." and the evening is warm with the passing of such soft and sweet memories.

But with a diary this never happens. The diary reveals that not only did you not double up on green winged teal that particular day (you did not double on anything all year), you missed four easy incomers flaring out over decoys and went home with two sea ducks. The diary would also reveal that George M did not get a 94. The diary would read that as usual George M. was stopping his gun and lucked into an 87. The diary is to the shooter as the scale and tape measure are to the fisherman--irrefutable proof that the judgment and memory of the outdoorsman improves like a fine wine, with the passing of time.

So instead of taking a long, hard look at times gone by, let's take a soft, dreamy one. Why not put your feet up on the good furniture and see what you'd like to have happened. This is nowhere near any form of lying--that's an art in itself. We're just looking at the truth from a variety of angles. Did old Ben break into a covey of birds and flush them out of sight or do you suspect he hit a running bunch of birds and did dam well to put them up so you could mark down the singles?

Did you really miss that huge old gander that came sailing in on set wings or did you just fire way behind him on purpose--sort of a parting salute? Did you really end up with a 17 on your last round of trap or were you working with the gun to test the width pattern? Give it a little thought and you'll discover some nice smooth lines to shore up your story. </span>

Memories of Misses Past, Gene Hill

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
awesome stats. I don't think you are bragging, but if I had those kind of stats, I would be bragging for sure. Those are pretty good numbers, and it looks like you are getting better, and putting up better numbers that previous year.

Good stuff. I would say my kill average for the late season was 0 for 22 or 24.

my early season would be 1 bird for 3 flushed. So early season I am at 33.3%. Late season..... not so much. LOL

cool post.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Dap, I know that diaries are personal things but I think it would be interesting to read if you posted a couple of pages. Only if you're comfortable letting us share your diary.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I also track how many shots I hear the first thirty minutes and the first hour of the opening day of rifle deer season.

It's neat to compare to years past.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have never kept any stats although I think its neat. Back though the 90's a few friends and I hunted Kansas every year. My friend Mark keeps detailed stats. We always went the first week of the season. After a few years we were sitting around one evening going over his stats of the previous years when one of us noticed that we had more coveys up and killed more birds on the last day of the hunt ( Friday ) most years. We came to the conclusion that a lot of hunters had packed up and left that day which led to more coveys that weren't broken up yet, We started going the second week and his stats suggested we were right. Less pressure less birds available but more coveys flushed by us.

I know if I did keep stats grouse hunting my shot and kill stats would vary depending on which dog I had down

·
Registered
124 Posts
dap said:
I've had this goofy obsession since I was a kid. Keeping track of how many deer I see, birds I see, shots I take . . . ad infinitum. I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the past 11 years, tracking different statistics each time I go out hunting. Here is some of the "what does it take" data from my experience grouse hunting in Pennslyvania this year compared to past years. (I'm pretty sure Barberry has done similar tracking for an even longer timeframe and could come up with his numbers as well).

How often do I flush a grouse?
This season every 23 minutes, historically every 22 minutes.

How often do I shoot at grouse?
Once every 97 minutes (1.6 hours), historically once every 1.9 hours.

What percentage of grouse do I shoot at?
23% this year, 20% historically.

How many grouse do I have to flush to finally kill one?
This year one bird killed for every 12 flushed, historically one out of every 21.

4.5 hours/kill this year, 7.7 most years.

What percentage of birds shot at are killed?
This year 36%, most years 24%.

What you have are the makings of a book someday. Some great statistics. I keep notes on my bird hunting but very loosely organized. Dates, weather, location, bird contact, points, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lynnappelman said:
Dap, I know that diaries are personal things but I think it would be interesting to read if you posted a couple of pages. Only if you're comfortable letting us share your diary.
The thing is, I don't keep a diary. I'm not much of a writer and I like numbers better than words. I have a spreadsheets with 20 different columns for data about each hunt. Most columns contain just numbers with the exception being the county I hunted and the cover I hunted.

I keep the same stats on Pheasant and Woodcock, and for that matter sharptail and prairie chicken as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
crazy question. do you count man hours or just birds flushed?

I have a friend who says it should be man hours. Just curious as what others think. TO me its number of birds regardless of numbers of hunters, but I understand his point.

Interrested to hear wat others think?

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The PGC cooperator's survey says to count the birds you personally see or hear and the hours that you hunted. If hunting in a group, don't count birds that the party flushed if you didn't see or hear them and don't include the total hours for the group.

Example 2 guys hunt together for 4 hours and flush a total of 16 different birds. Hunter A sees/hears 10 of the grouse. Guy B hears/sees 12 of the grouse. Hunter A ends up with flush rate of 2.5 birds per hours while Hunter B ends up with a flush rate of 3 birds per hour.

·
Registered
964 Posts
timberdoodle said:
May I suggest a different approach.....

But a diary is pretty matter-of-fact. You sit around with a couple of shooting buddies and one of them says "...that was the day you had the double on green winged teal..." Without a diary you can agree and return the compliment with something along the line of"...yes,that's right, I remember it well because it was just two weeks later that you had a 94 at Grouse Ridge Gun Club..." and the evening is warm with the passing of such soft and sweet memories.

But with a diary this never happens. The diary reveals that not only did you not double up on green winged teal that particular day (you did not double on anything all year), you missed four easy incomers flaring out over decoys and went home with two sea ducks. The diary would also reveal that George M did not get a 94. The diary would read that as usual George M. was stopping his gun and lucked into an 87. The diary is to the shooter as the scale and tape measure are to the fisherman--irrefutable proof that the judgment and memory of the outdoorsman improves like a fine wine, with the passing of time.

So instead of taking a long, hard look at times gone by, let's take a soft, dreamy one. Why not put your feet up on the good furniture and see what you'd like to have happened. This is nowhere near any form of lying--that's an art in itself. We're just looking at the truth from a variety of angles. Did old Ben break into a covey of birds and flush them out of sight or do you suspect he hit a running bunch of birds and did dam well to put them up so you could mark down the singles?

Did you really miss that huge old gander that came sailing in on set wings or did you just fire way behind him on purpose--sort of a parting salute? Did you really end up with a 17 on your last round of trap or were you working with the gun to test the width pattern? Give it a little thought and you'll discover some nice smooth lines to shore up your story.

Memories of Misses Past, Gene Hill
Hilly was in a class by himself. I've probably read everything he's written, at least ten times. Never get tired of re-reading it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're not alone, Dap. I have been keeping grouse hunting spreadsheets (started with Lotus) dating back to 1993. In some years, I've also kept detailed journals, which I enjoy reviewing every now and again just to see how much my memory has deteriorated! Not sure why I started with the record-keeping business, but I'm glad I did. Sounds like you had a nice season. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just saw this and love keeping stats on hunting, especially bird hunting. My numbers are based on the last 23 grouse seasons in Pennsylvania. It is based on 2312 hours of hunting and 7145 grouse flushed during that time period.

How often do I flush a grouse while hunting?
This season 22 minutes, historically every 19.5 minutes.
This season 5.4 hours, historically every 5.7 hours.
How many grouse do I have to flush to kill one?
This season 15 birds, historically every 17.5 birds.

For woodcock, historically I harvest a bird every 7.7 flushes and for pheasant, I harvest one for every 3 birds flushed.

I have never kept statistics on shots fired and I am glad I haven't since I don't consider myself a very good shot.

·
Registered
964 Posts
[

I have never kept statistics on shots fired and I am glad I haven't since I don't consider myself a very good shot. [/quote]

You are not alone!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts