The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally able to put the story and pic together. I put it out there once in another archery thread, but needed to be told again pic included.

I lost my wife to ALS in Jan., so this year has been tough. Although I now can hunt whenever I want, it's still hard because I loved to share my stories with her. Last year on Nov. 3rd I killed a buck and she was very happy for me even though she was very ill. So this year I had to be in the woods on Nov 3rd. So I called off work and drove to camp all alone. I sat in my tree and talked to her. Then I asked for her to bring a Big buck my way. Told her if she did I would cut back on my drinking. Now I'm not a drunk, I just like beer and have a couple every day. Anyway, the winds were heavy but the time was right. An hour later I see movement and here comes an awesome buck right towards me. From 120 yards out he walked straight at the tree. I had no shot until he was at 5 yds and when I tried to stop him he spooked a little and turned to walk away. He didn't make it, at 25 yds I let one fly and set a breeze blowing through his rib cage. The biggest deer I have ever seen ever. On the scale, at 210 lbs field dressed, Perry county 8 point, that we just scored Net at 143.5. It is my first buck with the crossbow. I was also wearing a pair of her camo hunting gloves for the first time ever, that I had found in her bow case. I also never have cell service at my camp but after I shot I tried anyway and was able to make two calls and get ahold of my dad to come help for the search. I won't lie and tell ya I cried on the way out of the woods. I miss you dear, and thank you so much.
PS., I will be keeping my end of the bargain.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Sorry for you loss, and she sure did complete her end of the deal and then some :), so you better darn keep your end. I am sure she got to witness this hunt first hand, instead of hearing one of your stories.

Best of luck keeping up your end of the bargain, and if you ever need anything don't be afraid to send a pm.

Great buck!

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Wow bud. It is stories like this that rattle me to the core. Reminds one yet again what is important in life. Congrats to you sir on the great buck that your wife sent your way and I am hoping that times eases the pain.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
My heart goes out you regarding your wife.
Great story and what an incredible buck !
Congrats !

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, it truly was a special day in the woods. Besides the buck several other things happened that day that were just very good things that were timed right. It will be hard to have a better day as a hunter, but I'm gonna have fun trying.

Now the big question to mount or not. I already have 6 mounts, although none that massive, but I really like Europeans and do my own, but I also have 7 of those. Tough decision.

·
Registered
987 Posts
First, I'm sorry for your loss. I can imagine you have had a very difficult 10 months. That is a great buck you shot. I don't know anyone that wouldn't be ecstatic about shooting that deer. Congrats!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Divine intervention for sure. She was with you in that tree and you both shared in the harvest of this magnificent PA archery buck. Congrats, keep your chin up, and GOD bless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts