The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased these parts, minus the remington 700 barreled action, to build a new rifle. The stock is a Bell & Carlson M40 style with the aluminum chassis. The scope is a Vortex HS-T 4-16x-44mm. I also bought a set of Vortex low rings to mount on a Leupold MK 4 base. I have a new barrel on order from Krieger chambered in 7MM-08, 1/9.5 twist, 24", and the remington varmint contour. The barrel won't be ready till early next year. I'm also having a Kampfeld bolt knob installed. For this hunting season I'll use my Bell & Carlson sporter stock and the new scope. I did have to bed the rail when I installed it, a little high in the rear when the front hardware was tightened. I'm thinking of a matte black finish to the metal down the road.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nice! Ought to make a great platform to launch AMAX's or VLD's and really reach out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: My next project (Update)

I mounted the scope then the barreled action to the new stock, the one pictured. Decided to try it out last week. I was impressed with the results. The 6 o'clock group was 3/8" at 100 yards, the 12 o"clock was just under 5/8". The center is my final adjustments before the 12 and 6 o"clock strings.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Looks good. I just pulled my B&C M40 off the mill after relieving the recoil lug area and down the sides to help with strengthening the bedding job.
S/F

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, I much prefer the M40 style over the medalist. The stock sporter barrel looks a little thin sitting in the stock. My Krieger won't be done till spring.

·
Registered
158 Posts

This is the first rifle I built myself. I used a Brux medium Palma barrel. In the future, I plan to build most rifles that customers want heavier profiled barrels with Sendero/Rem Varmint contour blanks. The Sendero is a good balance of size to weight and fits nearly every stock well. Are you fitting the barrel to the receiver yourself? You might try having your current setup accurized while you wait on your Krieger barrel. It's amazing how much you can improve with just truing the action and bolt and re-crowning. If you aren't doing the gunsmithing yourself, the 'smith that's going to do your barrel might as well true your action now and re-set your headspace to minimum tolerance with the barrel you have. Makes no difference financially whether you pay to have it trued now and enjoy it that way for a while or wait to have it done when you get the new barrel. The only additional cost should be whatever you're charged for re-crowning of the old barrel ($45-$55 is typical). Just a few thoughts from a fellow Jarhead.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They are going to true the action and bolt. They are installing the barrel as well. I plan on sending it after deer season. Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have this just about done. Waiting for a Timney 510 trigger for it. Had the barreled reciever, floorplate/guard, and bolt refinished a flat black by John Norrell Arms. I had Short Action Customs install a Kampfeld campfire bolt knob. Purchased the Harris bipod recently as well. It was a long project but am just about there. Can't wait to shoot it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts